Still considering a 943 or 953... Having never owned a piece of equipment like this before, I'm not quite sure of what to look for when looking at potential purchase candidates. I've done quite a bit of mechanic work having rebuilt a few gas engines and an auto tranny, but my diesel knowledge is limited to the basics. Also, I can't claim to know much about undercarriage wear. Any suggestions on what to look for in a good used 943 or 953? Common pitfalls to avoid? Indicators of expensive problems?
You'll get a lot of good advice on this forum. My view other than the usual, is the tracks are the most expensive to replace so look there first. My friends 953B was quoted at $33000.00 for a complete track job at the dealer last fall. Then, as far as I know the transmissions require special equipment to overhaul and can not be done in the field. Hope that helps a little
Thats definitely a helpful start. Some of the things I have gathered so far are to listen for a potentially knocking #4 piston as a result of overheating, blow by on valve cover breather tube (broken rings), and oil around the starter leaking from rear main seal. Obviously most of what I've learned is engine related, but thats probably the component I'm most comfortable with. I'm actually leaning toward a 943 based on reports of the non-turbo engine having much more longevity. That said, the info on trans overhaul is helpful. Anything I should look for in the tractor's operation that would point to a weak transmission? When looking at the undercarriage, is there anything in particular I should be wary of?
I just ran across this thread, Are you still looking for a loader? I am full of useless in-correct information I would be glad to help lol Pj
I am, but my base of knowledge is pretty limited when it comes to tractor specific systems such as hydraulics and undercarriage. Any basic info on how to assess those two systems would be a great start for me. Thanks!