Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Think I’m pushing my tractor to hard…

Earljr3rd · 2022-07-18 14:51

Currently my only piece is a ck3510. Built the retaining wall and my shop area. Above the wall I cut down 5-10 degrees to reduce the angle so my tractor can more safely access the area in the future. The retaining wall itself I shaved from about 45 degrees to 30 or less to improve stability of the rip rap. The tractor couldn’t scoop into the rip rap to load it so I hand loaded it and used the bucket to transport and place the stone. 20 tons of rip rap in the photo with the retaining wall. Have another 20 to install later when I feel like it. Prepped wall is about 200 ft long by 6 or so foot average height to give an idea of the dirt prep that went into it. At least 60 tons of crusher run at the base scooped and transported because the truck couldn’t get back there to dump in place. As far as the shop area goes had an excavator rented and knocked the trees and stumps out of the way. Everything else was done with the ck3510. Cut the ditches and moved a bunch of dirt around. Transported 20 tons of sb2 to install my culvert and entrance. Now I think I can get the trucks in and dump in place so instead of transporting it 50-100 ft all I’ll really be doing is spreading with the bucket and box blade. Looking at another 100-200 tons of crusher run over the next week or two as I get time. This project is wrapping up then it’s just general stuff on our 10 acre personal property. The reason I’m thinking about getting a back hoe is the 27 acre development in start. Goal is 10 to 20 short term rentals over the next 10 years. Just the land bridge to access the property is quoted at $5 plus materials, all trees and brush left on site in a pile for me to deal with. Have another 500 ft of road to install to get to what will be the first unit. Another 3 roads totaling between 2000-3000 ft. All roads will be 16 ft wide. Also will have several hundred ft of 8 ft wide driveways. 10-20 sites to be prepped plus the trenches for utilities to the units and foundations. The more I type this out the more I feel better about deciding to go ahead and buy a back hoe and not try this with my ck3510 and a stump bucket and box blade. Impressive unit for what it is but feel like it would be taking a stick to a gun fight. Given enough time it could knock some of it out with reduced rental costs but the time and diesel savings of the full size hoe alone will be major. So with all that said what should one expect for $10k-$15k? I looked at a $5k unit and figured I’d have another $5k in repairs and major down time rebuilding it. Figured if I spent $10k id still have $5k in repairs but probably much less down time to to less major repairs and more cylinder and hose type repairs. The unit I’m looking at is my friends 580c. I know the auction he got it from as a decade ago before I got into real estate I used to buy and resell equipment from the same auction. I looked the last sales quarter up and almost every back hoe sold for an average of $10k in a comparable year range of the 580c. My guess is he probably paid between $8k-$10k plus he hauled it and completed whatever repairs resulted in it being at the auction in the first place. He buy no means refurbs them but does fix any major issues. If a hose it ready to go any minute or a cylinder needs rebuilt really bad he addresses those things and generally gets it as work ready as possible for a 40 plus year old unit. He will also tell you it’s a 40 year old unit and anything can happen tomorrow after you buy it. I haven’t gone and seen it yet. I expect to see some slop in the bushings and some leaks but nothing major. He wants $12.5k for it and will deliver it to my job site 30 minutes away. I currently only have a tundra and my trailer only has tandem 3500s so that is another perk of buying from him as I save on hauler fees. Plus I can trust him. I’ve seen two 580c tlbs within two hours of me for 10k firm but since I can transport and I trust my friend the extra $2500 isn’t a big deal. My uncle used to work on stuff like this for a living and I have experience and tools as well so keeping it running is something I feel comfortable about. Looks a lot easier to work on than some of the older units also. For the price what you guys think? Not sure how much all that dirt work would cost, $30-$40k. Figure even with whatever surprise repairs it has I should be money ahead to plus I can sell the hoe, although I doubt I will. I’m always getting my self into projects like this….

Replies40
  1. #1Tinkerer2022-07-18 15:09

    Welcome to HEF, Earl ! Your site looks really good. Beautiful country to put in those rentals. I am surprised you couldn't get your Kioti to load those rocks. Especially with the teeth on the bucket. You are fortunate to know the owner and history of the 580C. You have a decent deal for with the delivery included. Nice. IMHO !

  2. #2JL Sargent2022-07-18 15:15

    Welcome to HEF Earl! You covered a lot of ground with your first post. If I was developing 27 acres, I would probably rent a good bulldozer to start with. A $10,000 backhoe ain't no match for 27 acres like the picture you posted. Renting can really work out good for you because you can try out a machine that you think you might like to own. If your dead set on buying a backhoe, I would go with a newer machine spending North of $20K.

  3. #3Earljr3rd2022-07-18 15:22

    Didn’t have the teeth on the bucket at the time, it might do it now. Thanks, no clue what I’m doing but figure if you try long enough you will figure it out eventually and even a blind hog will find an acorn at some point. It’s coming together. That’s my personal property. The 27 acres is 30 minutes away. Our land was a pine tree farm. The new land is a bunch of old undisturbed hardwoods and the top of big mountains or hills, whatever you want to call them.

  4. #4Earljr3rd2022-07-18 15:33

    Hah, yea, I try and keep my messages short and to the point but I’m bad about rattling on and end up with a 10 page post. I thought about a dozer but I’ve never ran one. I get the concept of lowering grade in bites and not digging a giant hole but everyone always says those are the hardest units to run. I’ve ran a 10 ton excavator and loved it but I know more about fixing back hoes than excavators. The 7k excavator actually impressed me for what it is. Ran a 6k tb235 if I recall and it was way to slow anything major. Took forever to knock over one 20 inch oak. So if the back hoe is way to small for the scope of work I’m gonna guess that means I should give up my dreams knocking this out with my ck 3510 huh. I keep trying to will it possible but common sense keeps slapping me in the face and saying I’m out of my mind.

  5. #5joe--h2022-07-18 16:15

    An occasional paragraph would make it a lot easier to read. Buy it. Joe H

  6. #6boone2022-07-18 17:29

    That's seems pretty close to the bottom depreciation price of a 580c that's in decent shape. I looked at two 580c before I found my JD 310. It's amazing how this stuff keeps going up in price. Whatever you might have to put into it, you can count towards the work you get out of it. Hopefully, the ole girl's output will be more than you have to put in. Then your option to get out of it what you bought it for. Your utilities, foundation, perk holes, cleaning ditches all that will be perfect work for a backhoe. It will never compete with a tracked machine for clearing. Make sure it has working brakes. Most of those of that vintage don't have working brakes. That might tell you what you're friend has done to it.

  7. #7Earljr3rd2022-07-18 17:36

    these are the only photos of the land I have on my phone. A lot of good building sites. Several of the photos show some of the valleys I want to build the home overlooking. Now that I’m looking at it not as many huge oaks as I remember.

  8. #8Earljr3rd2022-07-18 18:07

    the prices on used equipment is insane. It’s why I bought a almost new kioti at the dealership. I was looking at 10k units and they were trashed out old money pits. For 10k more I can brand new with warranty, run it 5 or 10 years, sell it for a decent chunk of money and buy a new to write off on my taxes. I think there is a whole lot of folks that can justify spending less all fighting for cheaper units and the supply isn’t big enough to keep up so the prices are rather high. I’ve noticed that on the hoes also. 12.5k was really at the max of what I want to spend however I am noticing between 15-20k a lot of decent options seem to become available and it appears less people are fitting over them. For example when I see a trashed pre 70s unit hit the market for 5k it’s a frenzy and it’s gone in 2 days. It’s cheap yea….but everyone I’ve seen was a basket of problems. I’ll see how my buddies 580c is. It’s not out on the job making me money as a production machine so some down time is no big deal. I’ll keep looking and see if a few grand more would get something much nicer tho. There’s a 580k 4x4 extend a hoe for 16k probably 4 or 6 hours from me. Looks between good to fair for its age. If that 580c will work tho would be nice to save the money for other stuff….

  9. #9Welder Dave2022-07-18 20:22

    What happens is something big goes wrong with the hoe shortly after you bought it from a friend? Not saying it isn't a good deal but a lot of friendships have been destroyed buying something from a friend or relative for that matter. Something to think about.

  10. #10mitch5042022-07-19 12:52

    For loader work 4x4 makes a huge difference. A 580c is good, but a 580k is way more productive. If they are both in decent shape, the k is worth more than $3500 more, jmo.

  11. #11aighead2022-07-19 13:13

    That's a nice looking plop of land Earl!

  12. #12Earljr3rd2022-07-19 13:14

    im studying these machines but have a lot to learn. Besides the 4x4 and the extenda hoe what makes the 580k more productive than the 580c? I’m about to look the weight difference up. I know the 4x4 axles take the abuse better when heavily using the loader but what other advantages? I refuse to by a tractor without 4x4 but seemed impossible to get a loader hoe stuck(within reason of course)? Here is the 580k for $16k probably can get him down a little but not a lot. Would cost around $1000 but get it home and a lot of time.

  13. #13Earljr3rd2022-07-19 13:22

    Looks like the 580k is about 1000 lbs lighter. They case website brags about upgrading to the full synchronized transmission and high hp which I could both see as obvious perks. Only thing I didn’t like is the switch to wet brakes. It seems like people always use the wrong fluids and toast the brakes. Don’t know much about repairing wet brakes but it seems much more of a process than it is on the 580c. Shifting gears is something I’m use to and don’t think twice about because all my tractors are like that.

  14. #14mitch5042022-07-19 13:29

    Wow, that is a nice looking 580k, phase 3. You're right, if you can run one, it is almost impossible to get a good backhoe stuck where it can't get itself out. However, you are going to have to put down whatever is in the loader bucket to do it. When you load the bucket, it lightens up the rear, thus making it hard to even back away from the pile sometimes. If you are mostly going to use the hoe 2x4 is fine. If you are going to use the loader, 4x4 is a whole different world. In short, it's not about getting unstuck, it's about keeping on working, also pushing power is at least doubled in poor conditions. Also, the k has the Case 4-390 engine, which is identical to a Cummins B3.9. It is lot stronger than the Case 288 in the c, parts are also much more readily available.

  15. #15mitch5042022-07-19 13:31

    I don't think there is any chance of that k being lighter than a c. Also the hoe seems much stronger than a c.

  16. #16Earljr3rd2022-07-19 14:38

    said they would take no less than $14.5 . Honestly sounds fair, 5 hour drive one way for me. I liked on the 580c how the clutch’s are separate unit from the axles and look like they are pretty easy to replace. The 580k looks like it’s all a self contained transaxle with the torque converter aft of the engine followed by a drive shaft then the transaxle. So if a forward reverse clutch goes out your pulling the whole transaxle? He said the brakes work so shouldn’t be an immediate concern but if they are wet brakes they will be within the transaxle also correct? Or do they have access covers like the 580c. I’m actively look for parts diagrams but can’t find any at the moment. At 14.5 that’s tempting…. “ This backhoe had main hydraulic pump and oil cooler replaced 2 years ago. Has new starter, ignition and new battery. Also just repacked both stabilizers and replaced seals in stabilizer check and spool. No cylinder leaks. Runs and digs good. Hours unknown. Asking 16,000. “

  17. #17Earljr3rd2022-07-19 15:59

    So the k maybe be cheaper to keep going in case of major drive failure. Around $5.5k for a rebuilt transaxle. The c is around $7k and the power shuttle was another $3k. Transaxle removal on both units is a bear however the separate power shuttle on the c appears easier to replace separately however not being all one unit seems to raise the price. If I’m misunderstanding anything feel free to correct me. Been watching YouTube repair videos past couple of hours trying to get an idea of how each model is assembled and if one appears easier to maintain or repair than the other…

  18. #18Tinkerer2022-07-19 16:13

    580k parts book (diagrams). ---> https://www.mycnhistore.com/us/en/c...20000/cn/CED06496-EFBE-E111-9FCE-005056875BD6

  19. #19aighead2022-07-20 06:38

    I'm with mitch as far as using the loader and 4x4. I'm moving a fair amount of #2 gravel, probably a third the size of the riprap you show above, and I struggle to push deep into a pile without putting her in 1st gear and using the front wheels to help. I don't know Case but that 580K looks like a nice machine, especially if it fires up and runs decent, for the money.

  20. #20Earljr3rd2022-07-20 09:53

    Two or three sources have listed the 580k 4x4 at around 9.1k pounds where the 580c 2 wheel drive is listed at 10.1k pounds. Honestly I like the lower weight as I’m fighting the need to upgrade my truck. My wife wants me to get f350 drw but I don’t transport in that weight range enough to justify it yet. Can rent a 3/4 ton for $300 a day. I’m trying to get a hold of that 580k. With 4x4 and extend a hoe that seems like some where between a fair and good deal. There’s things I like about the c and the k model but if it came down to two units both 2 wheel drive and comparable I’m leaning towards a c model. I like that the drive train is not all in one housing. If something went down on the k id probably just buy a refurb transaxle because I don’t want to pull it twice. The c because the clutch’s and transmission is more accessible id be less worried about rebuilding it myself if need be. Also won’t feel as much pressure to rebuild everything at once since it’s not all one unit. All that said if that deal on the k pans out I’m going to get it, hard to pass up 4x4 and extend a hoe for only $3000 more….

  21. #21boone2022-07-20 10:08

    That weight seems off, but I see the same thing you do. Except constructionequipmentguide has it at what I would think it would weigh, which is around 13.9k lbs. That seems more likely based on the looks of that machine. https://www.constructionequipmentguide.com/charts/backhoe-loaders/case/580-k/31327281

  22. #22Earljr3rd2022-07-20 10:20

    Hmm… good to know, if that’s the case (pun intended) I won’t be able to haul the k home. Biggest trailer I can rent is a tandem 7k lb. That also totally blows my half ton out of the water. The newer f250 I can rent should able to haul it tho. Being able to use my half ton was one of the perks of a k model. You guys know better than me so I’ll roll with the groups opinions that its heavier than I thought. Still not a deal breaker but I still can’t get the seller to reach out to me. Don’t think it’s a scam but odd that I can’t get them to contact me.

  23. #23mitch5042022-07-20 10:50

    I own a 580k that looks exactly like the one you show, and I use it a lot for loading out fertilizer and lime. It goes on the scales several times a year to weigh what's in the bucket, and it has an empty weight of just over 16,000 lbs. I don't know where that website got 9000 lbs, but they are definitely talking through their hat! Maybe the tractor with the loader and hoe removed? A c with 1100 lbs of counter weight instead of the hoe, (which I am sure weighs more than 1100lbs) weighs over 10,000 but I don't remember exactly. My biggest customer (who owns the scales above) has a 580c with a counter weight in place of the hoe for a store loader, and it struggles to load the bucket from a packed lime pile if the ground is moist, and definitely has a hard time backing away from a pile with a full bucket, which takes weight off the drive wheels. My k will push into the pile until lime flows over the back of the bucket. Wet brakes last many times longer than dry under the same conditions and have a heck of a lot more stopping power. When they are parked side by side, the k is obviously bigger.

  24. #24JBrady2022-07-20 11:03

    I'd go with the 580K as well. That is still a relatively modern hoe, plenty of them still around. 4x4 and extenda hoe would be necessities for me. I have the next generation of case, a 590Super L. It is a great machine, very strong. I actually saw that 580K on facebook this morning when I was looking around. I guess we are not too far away from each other.

  25. #25Earljr3rd2022-07-20 13:16

    Not terribly far,I’m an hour south of Little Rock Arkansas. It’s been listed for over a week if I recall. I think something off with it because I can’t get a response and no one has bought it. At that price I would think it would be gone. My biggest use for it is the hoe. However I’m sure I’ll use the loader. Transporting dirt from one spot to another. Plus gravel. Spreading 140 tons of gravel products this week but that’s not a every month thing. Doing it all with my ck3510 at the moment. Even a 2 wheel drive should feel like a huge jump in production of my ck3510 right? A heaping bucket is a half yard with my ck3510. I’ll see if I can hold out and find a 4x4. My buddies won’t be ready for another 3 weeks anyways.

  26. #26Tinkerer2022-07-20 14:15

    Go HERE and you will learn all you wanna know about a 580K.

  27. #27Finca SDR2022-07-20 17:50

    I hope those peeps get back to you about the K. Don't want to be a hater but a 2wd backhoe isn't really useful for rough land work. It's useful for loading gravel in the yard, or doing roadwork for the municipality. Not so much working on muddy farms. Especially if there's hills. 4wd backhoes are very useful. We do nuckin futs stuff here in the mountainous rainforest that probably deserve a different machine. But we do it cuz it's the most common machine around. I'd hold out for a 4x4 hoe of one type or another. Good luck.

  28. #28Earljr3rd2022-07-20 22:15

    Finally got in touch with the guy. Said several hoses are bad but not leaking, e brake doesn’t work, and nothing on the instrument cluster works, so no gauges and no hour meter.

  29. #29Finca SDR2022-07-21 08:49

    Sounds great. Last year I was looking for a second hoe and lucked into a '00 580l for cheap. But I had to go looking for that machine because this old dude owner operator (who I'd call the competition that takes all my business except that he's been teaching me how to do this for several years now) was trying to sell me his '94 580k and then backed out at the last minute. I would have bought it no problem without a second thought. Awesome machine. Go for the K if you have the cash in hand. It's a newer machine, it'll last that much longer. Don't be afraid of replacing hoses. And these things are relatively simple to work on once you learn how they work. (unless you gotta get inside the transmission or axles, that's a big heavy pain). But if it turns on, pushes hard against a pile of dirt (hot) *stops*, steers, and the hydraulics will lift it off the ground go for it. That's a real machine, not no semi-applicable antiquity. Check the metal for cracks too. Are you good at welding? If not you should learn, just saying...

  30. #30Earljr3rd2022-07-21 09:09

    Going to play around with my little tractor this morning. Take it out of four wheel drive and see if I would hate it. The guy with the k model bought it four years ago to add septic install services to his plumbing business. One thing going through my mind right now is ability to transport. The c model I can rent or buy a tandem 7k trailer and move it around town on back roads. The k model I really need to own a 1 ton and big trailer to move it. I haven’t even been able to find a trailer to rent that’s big enough. For $2500 more the k is the best choice, even if I spent another grand or so to a hauler and the k was $3500 more I still think it’s money well spent. The unit will be on one site for several years and I can transport my little tractor for some projects. It would be nice to be able to move my big hoe if one of my rentals needs it tho, or I need something at my personal place.

  31. #31Earljr3rd2022-07-21 09:34

    Ok, I called a case dealership. 9.1k lbs is the loader tractor. They said the hoe is another 7-8k putting the unit around 17k. I think Richie specs, lectura specs and all those sites have the tractor loader weight excluding the hoe. I cant weld if my life depends on it but my dad did it and taught it and inspected it most his life. I also have a welder that used to be the repair guy for a mining companys equipment. I did about 4 days worth of tractor work no charge cause he is a cool older guy. Ever since he is willing to help me with stuff like that. I need to let dad teach me….just haven’t had time with all my projects.

  32. #32Earljr3rd2022-07-21 12:14

    I’m mulling things over this morning. Sick and have a big day of paying work tomorrow so trying to keep myself inside and not working on my personal shops. Goal is to attempt to decide something today. Kinda posting as I’m thinking. The biggest need the unit fills for me is the hoe and digging. Looks like the buckets move about a yard of material where my little tractor moves a half yard. I can function with the little tractor for moving materials. My dad will most likely be in the little tractor on site anyways scooping material as I excavate it. I have no doubt a 1 ton is a must buy down the road. However other than financing a little bit of the land I’m keeping my debts low and cash funding most of the project. So keeping recurring payments low and surplus funds is important for me. I think is a situation where the best value for sure is the 580k. I can get a retired government truck for around $20k and a heavy trailer between $5-$10k. I don’t think the extra payments for the truck however is worth the reduced surplus funds. However I could forego the truck and trailer since the unit will be at that one location for a long time. After my first unit is together and renting picking up another truck and trailer will be no issue….think I’m back leaning to the 580k. Quote to ship it is around $1,300. I do have buddies that would move it from time to time for me in town…..I think I could get around the 4x4 loader issues between the 2 options but the added weight of the k and the fact it’s newer is nice. I really liked the idea of buying from my friend but I think this deal is worth going for. Just have to check it out really good. I wish I knew the hours but the hour meters on these are easy to tamper with anyways. Guessing 4-5k hours by the photos? They usually aren’t considered slap worn out until 8k hours right. I mean anything between 2.5-5k hours can go out, then between 5-8k hours stuff more frequently goes out but still a lot of life left and then after 8k hours I’ve read it’s one thing after another. Sound right?

  33. #33csthompson122022-07-21 12:31

    Not sure if the 580k has a similar front axle to my newer 580…but I had a problem with the lower front king pins bearing cups wore through and wore into the axle housing. Then the only way to fix it good is to replace the axle…I also have hub seals leaking and loose u-joints on the front end that I need to fix one of these days. The 4x4 is great, but also adds to upkeep and maintenance.. I also have a 2WD case that I use often.

  34. #34aighead2022-07-21 14:56

    Did you say how far you need to move it when you would need to? I say that as someone who drove a small farm tractor (Massey Ferguson 230) about 15 miles on the road a couple weeks ago. That being said I also am not terribly comfortable with more than 2 or 3 miles in my backhoe on the road, and even that I'd rather not do. Like you said you can always hire out a mover as well, it'd take a fair amount of moves to add up to the $25-30k worth of truck/trailer. I know it's always better to have your own stuff to move things but I also understand being on a budget.

  35. #35Tinkerer2022-07-21 15:00

    The hours on any hour meter are kinda meaningless except for keeping track of them for service work. The condition of the unit is what is important. It could have 3000 hours and be a piece of junk. Or, it could have 7000 hours and be like new with the proper care. If you drag your feet much longer that unit may get sold out from under you. Especially if the owner is offered a better price.

  36. #36Finca SDR2022-07-21 22:57

    Ha ha my 97 deere has almost 26000 hours on it and the 2000 case has to have at least close to that if not more. Both are awesome machines that just keep working. Around here if you don't put 1000 hrs on your machine per year its like "why do you have that thing?" mine are old by now and I only run them part time so they maybe get like 500 hrs/yr these days. Get the K

  37. #37boone2022-07-22 09:27

    That's amazing. What's your maintenance secret and what oils do you run? Dealer oils or cheap stuff? I guess a lot of that has to do with running it often over short period of time. Mine sits a lot relative to yours, which does more harm than good. Agreed on getting the newer K.

  38. #38Finca SDR2022-07-23 09:40

    Almost whatever oil is around for whatever. The only one I'm kind of careful with is legit tractor fluid in the transmissions (hygard). But they've gotten non detergent 40wt plenty of times. I figure it's not great but if it's got no Additives it's only diluting what's there and won't cause any disasters. My front hubs leak oil too badly anymore so I fill them with grease and a teaspoon of oil. Very little is "correct" with these tractors. Transmission synchronizers are stubborn, hydraulics getting weaker, cylinders drip a little, the deere burns oil like a weed whacker. But they were that way when I got them and who knows how long they've been working that way and how long they'll keep working. I've learned it's better not to mess with it if it's still functioning. My main mechanic has taught me a lot about how to fix these things. Pull the part out weld it up and put it back. In severe cases take it to the machine shop. I wanna get a lathe... Dealer parts are available but expensive. Sometimes I have to go through them. But There's generic truck filter places, bearing places, seal places etc. That keep me going cheaper and available here instead of ordering it from the capital. I joke about putting fry oil in the hydraulics and that's not too far off but these machines get constant attention. It's like some people are obsessed with hot rods, others with motorcycles, some with monster trucks and others with bass boats. I had to decide I was going to be obsessed with old backhoes as a profession and a hobby but that's okay. It pays well enough and I like dirt and grease and construction and farming so it works well. A funny detail, old machines are a lot cheaper here in the jungle than in the US market from what I've seen. The 97 deere was about 15k and the 2000 case I stole for about 12k. Both still street legal with tags and everything. Everything else is so expensive here in Costa Rica but I guess old pieces of junk are one we won out on. Newer machines are *expensive*.

  39. #39boone2022-07-23 21:53

    I've got a '97 deere too. I'm glad to hear you can get that many hours out of one. I've not been too picky about the hydraulic oil, but transmission and rear end I do put Hygard. The hydraulics have a bit of Hygard, but I've put a mix of 10w-30 motor oil and TSC brand hydraulic fluid. The last bucket of hygard I bought was $100 for 5 gallons. When packing cylinders and replacing hoses, it's get expensive. Maybe when I have them all repacked I'll go with the good stuff. I hear you on the old backhoes. I used to be into old cars, but my taste have changed toward heavy equipment. I keep trying to get my boys interested, but they haven't quite gotten the yellow fever yet.

  40. #40Finca SDR2022-07-24 00:46

    I think my son and daughter are on board, they're gonna be my little associates pretty soon