Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Thinking about buying a case 450 early 70s

Boyd Brown ยท 2013-09-23 21:48

I'm going to look at a doze a case 450 early 70s 2way blade. I've been told it has a bad cylinder do to a rack in manafold letting water get n and rusted. If this is true can cylinder be sleeved ? He's only asken a thousand for it . Do u think it's worth that much if mtr can be rebuilt and what do you think it would. Ost to rebuild mtr? Thanks for any help!

Replies6
  1. #1Boyd Brown2013-09-23 21:52

    Typos it should say crack not rack and cost to rebuild not ost

  2. #2sheepfoot2013-09-23 22:20

    It has a sleeved engine, I always start at $1,000.00 per hole.

  3. #3wilko2013-09-23 22:25

    For that price you can sell off good parts and scrap the rest and probably make a profit.

  4. #4Boyd Brown2013-09-24 10:53

    Thanks that helps I was thinking I could get money out of it but hoping I can fix my self and do some work around my land

  5. #5wilko2013-09-24 22:28

    I wasn't advocating that, just meant that you really can't lose if it turns out to be too far gone.

  6. #6oldcrawlerman2013-10-14 02:16

    An engine kit will cost about $700 to $1000 for 4 pistons,4 sleeves, rod bearings and gasket kit. (check with Broken Tractor for individual sleeve/piston availability) head rebuild will likely be in order if rusted badly... figure another $200 to $400 for that. A rebuilt long block is available for around $4K. Rebuild in frame is doable (if you don't mind a lot of dirt in your eyes). The costly stuff is behind and below the engine. Invest in a manual before you tackle any work though, as these are fairly complicated machines. If the running gear is decent, the machine could be worth $5to $10K or more. $1000.00 is a good deal IF the rest of the tractor is in good condition. Good luck