Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Thinking about getting into heavy haul. Opinions?

Rustedcutlery ยท 2014-11-20 22:48

Hey guys, long time lurker, first time poster. For the past few years I have been wanting to get a lowboy and going into to business for myself. I have hauled small equipment such as skid steers, mini-x, rollers, telehandlers, and various attachments with my diesel pickup and tri axle gooseneck when I worked for a komatsu/link belt/jcb/terex dealer. I know I didn't do it the legal way as I didn't have any permits or commercial plates, but I loved it. When I worked at the dealership as a mechanic, I loaded about any type of equipment you can think of. From 627 and ts14 scrapers, 400 class hoes, larger loaders (wa470 and wa500), graders, double drum and pad foot rollers, grove 765 cranes, d155 dozers, all on lowboys and step decks. I don't have a issue with running a dozen or hoe up a steep set of ramps. I also helped the truckers chain down and learned a thing or two. I have experience driving and working on trucks, I farm with my dad and have a few trucks. Iv been looking at Kaufman, talbert, and trail king 55 ton hyd detatchs eventually I would like to get a stinger and maybe even a jeep. The price on the kaufmans sure seams nice, but are they as good as the others? I would go with a wetkit on the truck, mainly some wouldn't have to deal with another motor to start. The only reserves I have about jumping into this is I know nothing about permitting and running under authority, not even sure what that means to be honest. Also, how does one go about getting loads? That's probably the biggest deal for me. There is a cat, case, Deere, Hyundai, and the komatsu dealer I spoke about previously about in town. But beside going from shop to shop offering my services, how does one go about this? ill take all the advice you have to offer. Thanks, rusted

Replies4
  1. #1Rustedcutlery2014-11-20 23:28

    Additionally, in this area $5.50-6.00 loaded and half rate for empty with a minimum of $300 seams to be the norm. I have also heard of people charging hourly instead of by the mile. I'm sure both work out to be the same in the end, but per mile seams more common.

  2. #2overworked2014-11-21 09:54

    Around here most local hauls are by the hour, long distance goes by the mile, I think your better charging by the hour, staying close to home, in state till you get your feet wet. Then grow as needed.

  3. #3Brandt2015-05-07 20:15

    If you are "for hire" you will need commercial insurance. This can get spendy ($800-$1200/mo). Not a big deal if you are hauling full time. If you haul 1-2 loads a month, it will eat your profit margin. Also most "basic" commercial ins will have $100K cargo insurance. If you cargo is $400K and you hit a low overpass or roll it over/off, your insurance will pay out the 100K, but you are on the hook for the rest!! I would consider leasing on to a carrier and drive under their insurance and DOT #. I ran under my own authority for 4-5 years and am now leased on to a carrier. After all the smoke settles I make about 15% more now as a lease operator.

  4. #4chevota842015-05-08 01:02

    I wouldn't buy a Kauffman for commercial use, they're fine for part time. Trail king would get my vote out of those three. How heavy are you planning on going? For light, short runs a folding tail is hard to beat for efficiency.