Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

This may be a real stupid question, but I’m going to ask it anyway….

JDDozerman ยท 2013-01-26 22:31

How would a wheel loader compare to a track loader on steep slopes, and wouldn't a wheel loader compact better than the track loader? Also what would be the max slope angle that a wheel loader could SAFELY handle? Your input, and expertise, is greatly appreciated!!! Thanks, JD Dozerman

Replies4
  1. #1JDOFMEMI2013-01-26 23:45

    You have a good question, but we need more details to answer properly. What size track machine? What size wheel machine? What ground conditions? wet, dry, loose, rocky, etc. How steep is steep to you?

  2. #2JGS Parts2013-01-27 00:02

    Yeah defferantly need the questions answered above before can give you an answer also what type of work would it be doing?

  3. #3JDDozerman2013-01-27 01:45

    I must be getting old, I should have remembered to add that info sorry. First, conditions: would be mostly dry, maybe VERY dry if we have a repeat of last year!!! Soil types: silty loam top soil, compactable clay underneath, not much rock at all to speak of, none worth noting Size: roughly about a 953 to 963 track loader and comparable sized wheel loader Uses: fixing dam blow out, assisting in new pond building (used in conjuntion with my Fiat Allis 14C dozer), digging out earthen shop, and basement, into the side of hills. I guess that should about cover it, sorry again for forgetting to add all the pertinent information. Thanks again for your assistance. Cheers, JD Dozerman

  4. #4JDOFMEMI2013-01-27 03:01

    Since you already have a dozer for work on the slopes, I would say a wheel loader would do you a fine job. Just realize the limits of one and use the dozer when needed to help out. A wheel loader is much cheaper to use than a track loader, when the conditions allow. I would say a loader the size of a Cat 950, give or take one size up or down, would do you fine.