Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Thor Buckets

SLK001 ยท 2024-09-04 18:58

I have a Thor bucket and I also have a matching Thor thumb. I've looked for a website for Thor, but I can't find the right one (there are other "Thor's" out there). I don't have good photos of the logo, but here's the thumb: I would like to contact them about their recommended procedure for mounting the thumb bracket on the dipper (welding position). Also, what is their recommended weld pattern (do you weld all around, only on the two outside edges, or what?). To contact them, I would need either a phone number or a website. I have a feeling that they are European, since they are using DIN hydraulic connections, but I can't confirm this.

Replies9
  1. #1materthegreater2024-09-04 21:50

    How did you find that much snow in Florida? You may want to let it warm up a little before welding. Saves on preheating.

  2. #2SLK0012024-09-05 06:00

    Yeah, I know! The pic is from the vendor I purchased the bucket from last December. I don't have a picture of the bucket or thumb and I won't be at the site until tomorrow. I'll try to get better pics up by this weekend. A Floridian answer: It's not snow. It's white sand - like our beaches!

  3. #3Oxbow2024-09-05 06:35

    It looks like a progressive link thumb, so the location of the weld plate will be determined by where that plate is with the thumb all the way open and cylinder retracted I would think. As to the welding procedure all I can offer would be to take a photo of how our Cat 320D has been done. I can do that after the sun comes up here if you like.

  4. #4SLK0012024-09-05 08:07

    Thanks (yes, it's a progressive thumb). If I can't get info from the maker, then I'll need to get the info from other's experience.

  5. #5Oxbow2024-09-05 12:25

    Maybe these will help.

  6. #6SLK0012024-09-06 13:20

    Just edge welding? Nothing on top? Here's the Thor logo (Thor's hammer - who would have guessed). Here's the name/logo: Anyone have any ideas as to where they are located?

  7. #7materthegreater2024-09-06 20:01

    Don't ever weld across the arm or boom, only lengthwise.

  8. #8SLK0012024-09-06 20:45

    Why, does that create a stress riser across the part? Where it is likely to crack? (This stick recently had the entire underside replaced.)

  9. #9materthegreater2024-09-06 21:48

    Something like that. I'm not a welder or a professional or anything but that's my understanding based on what I've heard and read over the years.