They are working on a retro fit on a bridge nearby, over extended a little
Scares me just looking at it
I dam sure wouldn't still be seating in that seat
No, you'd be wiping your snout off the inside of the windshield.........
Gee what could go wrong? Take a load out over an essentially bottomless hole to do your test pick and see for yourself!
Do telehandlers use a capacity limiting system?
Not at all. You need to know what you're doing there are a lot of fail videos out there. I've run several different 1056s with outriggers.. The ones that GLY has are all swing carriage machines. There's nothing keeping you upright but common sense and a good butt dynamometer.
One thing people don't realize is that the center of gravity changes when you go below the machine. It wouldn't take a lot of weight to tip it. As you can now see.
I think some of the new forklifts have a load limiter as a option. As a primitive "how far can I go", in some situations I like to put the outriggers down all but the last 1". Then when/ if it starts getting a little light, it will kind of settle onto the outriggers, and you know you're running out of forklift. If you have your outriggers down, and then it starts to go- say goodnight gracie.
That is part of the "good common sense and butt dyno" package that some people come with as standard equipment. I've played that game before, squirting loads through windows.
do you know what stream thats over? possibly eel river?
Those two statements brought back a nightmare... Back in 2003 we were building a townhouse project with all the associated firewalls between units that required 4 layers of 5/8" fire rated drywall at the time to meet code. Once the units were framed and the party walls were rocked, the roof deck needed 4' of 5/8" fire rock turned out under the rafters from the party wall inside each unit. Well there I was with a bundle of 4x8 5/8's fire rock on the forks of a Gradall 534D6 which we bought new in '98 and still have today. The windows for the unit were not installed yet and I was lifting the 8' wide load of fire rock through a double window with a rough opening of 10' or so. I wasn't in the exact position to clear the right side of the rough opening, with boom extended to the second story 12-14' off the ground. Knew better than move the machine with a load in the air but just needed an inch or two...... Moved the rear wheels slightly, which on a Gradall pivots on the front axle. As soon as I broke the stability triangle the boom went to the ground, subsequently the load of sheetrock left the forks which proceeded to make the Gradall 534D6 a mechanical bull only Billy Bob's in Fort Worth would be envious of. Thank God no one was under the load is all I can say. Once the Gradall came to rest, I gave the keys to the super and went home for the day and change drawers, this was mid-morning.
NOT had the coincidence of these maneuvers yet can state would not have been a shorts fill from me but would have taken a surgical team a few days to retrieve my shorts and the seat cushion cover from my ass sucking them up!!!
My condolences CM1995 for your mishap and excellent that no one was hurt. Here are the pictures I could find from my last telehandler gig. It was concurrent with the boom truck. If I had crane work it took priority, but there were enough lulls in my schedule to justify having a machine there for me. This was a bustling 10 million dollar remodel jobsite, with 4 guys on telehandlers and 1 on a warehouse lift. This was my last machine, all were rental Sky-jacks. It was truly a POS. These later models were so bad, that Pape went out and got all the old ones they could find and pulled the new ones back. These machines would slow down and drop a gear going from pavement to hard gravel They were so slow that a guy on an old machine would look for wide spot to pass you on. This is the model before it that was fast. IT still had the old sliding hood. Great machine. Putting up an imbed for a later big beam that got two picked into place by a 50 and 60 ton truck crane pair. It was not a weight it was a rigging overhead problem that forced a two-pick. The jib is very handy. You can fine-tune a pick with the lean. There was a pick point on the later machines on the boom tip heel, but every set of forks had these two-ways on the shaft, built custom for us. All the forks were swing carriages. We had a single set of 6' to share and we all ran with the 50" forks normally. When you have a swing carriage you don't need the long ones very often.
I don't know why in the regular rental outfits they don't have swing carriages, but they are the bomb.
Because they are rental machines, and its probably a $7,000 option, that they can't charge a dime more for monthly rent. So no swing carriage for you. I ran a brand new manitou this fall, and it was a absolute dog. I complained to the salesman- Come to find out its a 12k 55' lift-so probably +35,000lbs. maybe closer to 40k- And they put a 73hp motor in it- because then they don't have to meet as tight of emissions. Never mind that it won't hardly climb a hill with any kind of a load on, we're saving the planet by not getting any work done. You can keep those skyjacks, give me one of the old skytrack 10054's any day over one of those.
Pick your poison. Slow and weak or strong, fast, and broke down because of teir4 woes
I'll see what Pape wants for a weekly rental with swing carriage.
That must have been one scary ride. Dang.
Yes, Eel River, north of Garberville.
Thnks. We bid the decking on that job some time ago
And you live in Virginia ? , that's one hell of a commute. Kidding. You must work for Granite or one of the other big guys.
Would have been a logistics challenge for sure