Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Thoughts about a 1985 Case Crawler Dozer

gooldg ยท 2023-06-27 00:58

I am looking to purchase a 1985 Case Crawler Dozer Loader that comes with a (4 in 1) bucket and a 850C Case Backhoe. There is about 3600 hours on the unit and all systems run without issue. I know I will have to replace a few hoses as well as at least 6 seals. The unit has a turbo cummins motor which starts right up and no smoke at all. Has an open ROPS and will need a new seat. The case extendahoe came original from the dealer. Again all systems work, all gauges work, rock guards and in great shape and will only need 3 or 4 hours replaced. Undercarriage is in great shape, top rollers will need replacing eventually. Per specs looks like the undercarriage is at 60%. All fluids have been replaced within the year. Oil analysis and transmission fluid analysis are out for review. Has the Cummins turbo motor. All pins will eventually have to be replaced. Maintenance has been well documented. Only used about 50 hours in the last 12 years. Also forgot to mention the rear hydraulics are also set up to take advantage of a hammer on the rear stick. One extra backhoe bucket is also part of the deal. I cannot find any recent examples of a similar machine selling. I have looked high and low and now need the expertise of the group. Would like to get opinions and your ideas of a fair price. This dozer has is not a rust bucket at all and has been in the western united states with one family since original purchase. Please help!!! Thank you for your time and suggestions.

Replies3
  1. #1Mcrafty12023-06-28 05:22

    An old dozer is really worth what the seller can get for it and what a buyer is willing to pay for it. What I mean to say is if the dozer fits your needs and the seller is willing to negotiate and both parties can reach an acceptable conclusion...you have your answer. I don't believe there is a book published that sets average prices on used dozers, like a Kelly Blue book for autos. At least none I know of.

  2. #2alrman2023-06-28 22:56

    An 850C came with a 4 cyl 336 engine. An 850D had the 6 cyl 6-590 Cummins engine Also the loaders from the D series onwards were known as 855D Some pictures of the machine are required to help confirm - we like pictures!

  3. #3Welder Dave2023-06-29 00:52

    Pics. would help. An extend-a-hoe would be nice. Off the top of my head if it's in good shape with 3600 hours I'd say in the $25,000 to $30,000 range. Some accurate undercarriage measurements would also affect price. Probably has original undercarriage which normally would be close to replacement at 3600 hours.