Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Thoughts on Deere 450 track loaders

nkh111 ยท 2012-03-17 19:01

I am thinking of buying a 450 Deere track loader. It is a 1976 model and is in pretty good condition. I have always ran cat highlifts and never deere machines. I would like to know the pros and cons of this particular machine and any major issues these models are known for. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Replies3
  1. #1TCS2012-03-17 19:20

    I have operated a JD 450 plenty. My brother bought it new and the same vintage as what you are speaking of with a detachable pigtail.Although he hasn't hooked up to the pigtail in years he still uses the loader now and then and it still runs well. It is what it is,a small loader with limited loading reach,but it was a good machine.

  2. #2nkh1112012-03-17 19:35

    Thanks. I plan on just using it around the house. I have several acres of thick brush to clear, some grading work, and a small lake to build.

  3. #3drs10232012-03-27 09:22

    Is the '76 a wet or dry clutch system? I have a late 60's dry clutch JD 450, and it is VERY high maintenance. Mostly, because I only use it around the house. Honestly, I don't think it would hold up to make a living with, so it's a house tractor. The engine was redone just before I got it 15 years ago. It's still very strong, efficient, and holds excellent oil pressure all the way through the heat range. I can leave it sitting for a year, and it starts immediately when I push the starter. The hydraulics are strong, and I enjoy the small working radius of a small loader. The issue is with the dry clutches. I've spent around $2000 twice in the last few years replacing them because of sticking, rusting - simply not working. Older 450's were pront to frame rail cracking, and those have been re-done on my loader as well. The right side clutch/steering brake lever hasn't worked in at least 3 years. I still use it with only 1 wheel steering, but it is a lot slower that way. Avoid the dry clutch models at all costs. A friend of mine hasn't used his on the job for years because of the high maintenance of the clutches.