As I put in another post, I am looking at a replacement for my tired Allis. I have a 755 Deere to go look at in a week, anything I need to consider for weak points on these, how tough are the hydro units? Also looking at a 963 but is double the cash, rails are weaker just by appearance but has a ripper and a 4 in 1, weak points on these machines?
what series? C, C2, D or K??
It has no suffix on the tractor, could it be a prior series, the seller says it to be a 1979. It is a front engine. The cat a 1992 and no suffix given.
Run, run away. I don't know where you are in the state but down here those old deere's look cheap when for sale because everyone agree's they are not very good, and very hard to work on. Any rear engine cat would be better imo, and even a 955l cat would be better. I don't know what you can spend but i would expect to find a good mid 80's 963 in fairly good overall condition for under 20000$.
Thanks, had wondered why so many old deere units just sit, and the price sinks away, just bad in general is a good point to know.
Bad in general is the best way to put it. I am sure there could be some people that don't think they are as bad, but i use to wonder why they were cheap and then once i started asking about them there has never been one person i asked that had anything good to say.
I used one of these machines for a few months in the 90s,in a landfill.I thought the power to the tracks was great...it really pushed well.The machine did everything I asked of it.However,I'm unsure of longevity & mechanical reliability,as I wasn't on it a long time.