I'm thinking of looking at a near-by grader. Komatsu GD555-3c, 4800 hours. I can't seem to find much opinions by searching the forums. How reliable are they? Common problems? Thanks.
Hi Popo, Nearly bought one myself...but didn't, so can't tell you a whole lot. I did demo a couple of used ones, loved the smooth start/stop of the dual mode transmission in torque converter mode. There were overheating problems with some Dash 3's in Australia, more often than not when travelling between jobs at high speed in torque converter mode. Quite a few were retrofitted with a larger radiator (easily identified by the large hump at the back of the engine cowling to accommodate the bigger radiator)...but there were a number of quick fixes that also worked...keeping the radiator clean, ventilating the sidecovers, wrapping lagging around the exhaust manifold, not running in torque converter mode at high speed. However, we are talking about machines running in hotter inland or tropical areas, probably not going to be an issue in Colorado. I have heard of transmission repairs on one Dash 3 @ 7000hrs, but there again I have heard of transmission repairs on the odd H model Cat at 7000hrs too. As has been repeated in this forum more than once, who your closest Dealer is comes into consideration. My Cat Dealer is 500kms closer than my Komatsu dealer, so I bought a 12H, but I could have bought a Komatsu that was 5 years and 5000hrs younger for the same money and hoped for the best. Does the machine have an oil analysis history, or can you get samples taken for testing? I prefer Komatsu's oil testing service over Cat's, the results are more comprehensive, but that could be an Australian thing too. I think you'd have to be unlucky not to get several thousand hours of trouble free running out of a machine that's only done 4800hrs, but that's just my two cents' worth. Cheers, Scrub Basher.
Thanks Scrub Basher, I'm going to talk to the Komatsu dealer next week about taking oil samples, and try to schedule a few hours of running it through its paces. Popo
Hi Popo Bought one new 2004 , GD 555 - 3 don't know I will have to look to find out if it's a C . It's been a top grader 5750 h now. Drive it in direct on the road, auto for work. Have not had to spend a lot on it, but now that I'v had time to think back I had replaced or put up with a few things. The brake pedal has a slow oil leak, have been told there is no seal kit for it have to buy the complete Wabco unit, I clean up the oil can get a lot of wipes for 3 K. The seat and air con are regular yearly expenses , the circle drive gear has to be pressed out to change . It has a lot of play in the blade and circle even from new, always putting in the 5 brass strips and 2 bushes . it does get expensive . You learn to work with this. My new grader is bigger but when things get tight I look for the old girl. It's still a good grader and can do a lot of productive work.