Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Thoughts on kubota kx121-3

maddog ยท 2014-03-26 18:51

Are these a decent machine, I own excavators, just curious about the Kubota's especially this model. What's a reasonable, rough guess, life expectancy (hours) for one of these. I realize a lot depends on how it was ran and taken care of, but with that written, certain machines are tougher than others. Any little glitches to watch out for? Thanks

Replies8
  1. #1nedly052014-03-27 04:50

    I have one I bought at Abeles, absolutely love it. 600 hrs so far. You are welcome to come look at it, and dig in the snow bank if you want.

  2. #2k452014-03-27 05:57

    I've have a 121-3 and I'm very happy with it. But then it's the only ex I've ever operated so I can't compare it to other machines. I really love the angle blade, it's very useful.

  3. #3maddog2014-03-27 07:06

    K45; I did notice the angle blade, I could see where that would be handy. The machines I had with baldes were just straight forward, but still made life easy at times. Nedly05; cold and snow seems to be the one guaranteed thing this year up here 1 below here this morn. Is the 600hrs total or did you buy it used? The one I'm looking at has around 6000hrs but seems to be a real nice machine. I'm quite a distance from it just want to make sure it's worth the effort of checking out.

  4. #4Jmac032014-03-27 09:05

    Here's an interesting bit of information - The Kubota KX121-3 was the 3rd out of 7 of the top-selling financed construction equipment of the past decade http://www.equipmentworld.com/ranke...uction-equipment-of-the-past-decade/?pid=2973

  5. #5nedly052014-03-27 20:00

    I bought it new. A dirt company near here had a 161 with 4500 hrs on it and no major issues that I know of.

  6. #6maddog2014-03-29 14:09

    I'm just looking now, found a couple other machines IHI and JD, but the Kubota is a bit bigger. Missed out on a nice 305 CAT, went fairly cheap IMO.

  7. #7RTxcavating2014-03-30 12:36

    We have been through a few 7-9k pound excavators at the rental yard I work at. Bobcats were kinda slow. Not a bad machine, but not impressive enough for me to want one. We had a Gehl that was a really well built machine. Expensive but strong and well layed out. My favorite is our new kx91. The Kubota is easiest to work on, and just seems a little quicker to me. Stronger. It doesn't have a ton of hours yet but no problems.

  8. #8maddog2014-03-31 08:22

    Thanks everyone for all the comments. RTxcavating; I've never ran a Bobcat but have heard they are on the weak side compared to other machines their size. Not knocking the Bobcat don't know enough about them, just repeating what I've been told. I did find a nice Gehl but it is small for what I need, so I've passed on that one.