I am wondering if anyone knows what the viscous fan clutch manufacturers procedure for installing a viscous fan clutch on a threaded fan hub? The proper torque spec for the different threads. I have always just threaded them all the way on and with the correct wrench on the hex given the wrench a good solid whack with a three pound hammer. I always removed them the same way usually it takes two or three good whacks to break them loose. Last week I had to remove the viscous fan clutch from a Maxxfarce 7. I tried and I couldn't break it loose with a hammer. The shop has an air hammer kit for removing them so I tried that after trying with the air hammer with no success I got a helper and a big pipe wrench. I held the fan pulley while the helper beat on the 2" wrench with a four pound hammer. It took quite a few very strong blows before it broke loose and threaded off. I will be replacing the fan support bearing and the gouged and bent pulley. I checked Borg Warner's and Horton's websites and found no tech support links. I have access to Navistar's service portal and I could find nothing there either. Thanks!! Terry
Good question. I’ve never found any information, either.
Never found any either but fan direction keeps them tight.
Just don't do what I did once, thread one on a little ways and then start engine to complete the threading process, when the thing comes to the end and whacks tight you will never get it off again.
I got it off, but it damn sure wasn't easy!