My 92 IH 4900 could use a new tailgate. It's currently about 30 inches high. I was thinking about getting a 36" -40" tailgate made, for easier dumping of broken concrete, etc. The past month I noticed a few trucks with Three-way tailgates and figured what a great Idea for picking up and unloading brick, block, pavers, etc. I was going to get some estimates from the usual guys in my area(Bristol-Donald, Lembo, etc..) and I was wondering if you guys had any thoughts on 3 way Tailgates, or could recomend anyone in New Jersey who could build one. Thanks, Lee
Three way tailgates are nice, but they do add alot of weight. I assume your talking about one that dumps regularly and swings open like a barn door. Im not sure if you can get the tail gate to tip open as well like a pickup because of the weight of everything and the fact that you wouldnt need it. I know Dominick at Transtar in Tukesberry (spelling?) builds a mean body and built a body for the landscaper I worked for on a peterbuilt SA that swung open one way and tipped open if left closed. I know Sanchez in Ledgewood builds bodies and is cheaper than transtar, but I do not know how his work is. -Eric
Thanx Eric. I Know Transtar does Excellent work, and Dominick is a great guy, but they can be a bit expensive. It doesn't hurt to take a drive up to Tewksbury and find out what his thoughts are.
I have one on my truck but like 90plow said mine is only a two way because you can't (easily) release the top curbside pin to let the top down. However you don't really need to. It's great for bring alongs like an extra bucket or 2 for the BH, bringing home a pallet of pavers etc. My dump truck isn't wide enough to put two pallets in side by side so it gets to be a pain to move very many back there. I can configure mine to barn door op in about 1 minute standing on the ground. Works much better for brush than dropping the tailgate from the top used to. Best extra money I spent on the body (except maybe the air gate and electric tarp). :thumbsup
I would spend the extra money on the 3 way. You should be able to make that up with the extra capability of the bed and variety of things you can use it for. :yup
Where are you in NJ Bricklayer?
Thanks guys. It was raining here yesterday so I was able to take my Truck thru inspection(with a driver who has a CDL, I take my road Test Jan. 17) and we then went to Bristol -Donald to see about the Tailgate. It's pretty much a no-brainer since I need a new Tailgate anyway. My Dump body is in good shape, but the tailgate is rusting out in a few spots(ex-municipal Truck that was used for plowing, etc..) They have a great design that doesn't use pins, just a lever on the side. New Tailgate, with chute, 38 inches high, also modifying the body height in rear, primed and painted, aproximately $1,500. If I go with a 3way tailgate its around $3000. By the way 90plow i'm in Roselle, NJ
JMO...but another $1500 for hinges on 1 side of a gate seems high.
3 way.... Gate that is The only problem is when the ground is wet. In barn door mode you have to get out and unlock, swing and chain the door open, then you have to get out again and unchain, swing and hook the door closed! It you can afford the time to get out twice (2 times) for every dump then I say go for it! Since you getting a "New" gate anyhow, why not reinforce that gate? Welding 2 pieces of 1/8" thick 2" angle iron from side to side 6" from the bottom and 12" above that will cure your concrete and tailgate problem. Also add 2 or 3 more to the bed floor, dividing the floor into 3 or 4 equal parts caping the front and rear V up^! I had a Komotsu 300 loading me with highway (interstate) slabs and dropping them from 56" above the bed floor without so much as a dent in the new floor! The inverted v won't affect any material you haul, and WILL PROTECT your bed floor and tail gate!
I have one on my IH and I couldn't live without it, especially for hand loading the truck from the back with demolition junk
tail gates Hey do any of you guys have a pic of one these tail gates ? Sounds interesting to me thanks....