Question for y’all, My Service truck is a 15’ 3500 Ram standard transmission 6 speed. The clutch started making a chirping noise at idle and it would come and go, it would stop with clutch pushed in and get worse if you put just a little pressure on the pedal. So figured release bearing.Took it in and had a dual disk Southbend installed. 8 ish months later back to chirping. Checked it out couldn’t find an issue they claim. Noise gets worse, they get into it, bearing was toast and it ruined the fork. Good to go again. ITS DOING IT AGAIN!!!. Only been a month maybe 1.5. Started subtly with a quiet chirp here and there barely noticeable. But its gradually getting worse. Did I just get another crappy bearing? Or you think something is holding the bearing applied just enough to make it spin all the time? Like the pedal isn’t releasing enough? Its all Hydraulic slave but I dunno?? Any ideas? Any ideas are appreciated Thanks!
yes indeed.
An issue with the slave cylinder maybe?
I imagine I could look in there with a scope when its making the noise and see if the bearing is spinning or not. Im leaning towards the slave cylinder. Despite its been replaced also when they did the clutch. Unfortunately New doesn’t mean good these days anymore.
Not enough free play or adjusted improperly?
Im not 100% sure but Im fairly sure there isn’t an adjustment to be made. As far as I know the slave cylinder comes with a plastic retaining clip, you bolt it in the truck and the first time the clutch is pressed the clip breaks and your off. But maybe something is binding or the slave cylinder is sticking somehow. I think for the 4 or 500 bucks I might change it out.
That's a lot of money for something basically new. Could have been faulty too.
Thats true. I guess I should go back on the shop that did it again. That should be warranty for sure
Where does your clutch start engaging? Towards the top of the pedal? Those hydraulic clutch slaves are weird. They have a spring inside that keeps the fork pre-loaded and the T/O bearing spinning most of the time. I’ve fought with them before with the NV5600. I don’t think Southbend supplies the best bearings with their clutch kits. I prefer the OEM bearing, but it’s four X more expensive. I hear good things about the SKF bearing, but have no experience with them. Time to drop that heavy, cast iron SOB, again.
Yeah Im afraid thats pretty much what were faced with. Pull it out again. The first bearing was supplied by Southbend, the second was an oem. I wonder if a guy could add a little extra grease in there this time somehow. I know Ive pulled seals on other ball bearings and they are a little chintzy with the grease from factory
Let us know what you find.