Hello, I’m new to the group and not an expert by no means on equipment lol,but I’ll help somebody if possible. I am looking at a 2004 Kobelco 135. It has a mechanical thumb but looks to have aux. hydraulics so my question is can I mount a hydraulic thumb on that same bracket? Also anybody have any comments good or bad on a kobelco 135 with about 4500 hours. I’ll mostly use it for clearing brush, fence rows and putting in water ways. Thanks for the help.
Welcome to the Forums IF! Do you have any pics of the manual thumb brackets on the stick?
This is the best picture I have of the thumb. I didn’t know if they made a hydraulic thump that I could mount without having to do additional welding on the stick
I think you'd have to weld a mount for the cylinder further up the stick but looks like your thumb could be converted fairly easily.
Thank you, that’s kinda what I’ve been thinking the cylinder wouldn’t have enough room. But I may just stick with the manual thumb for now anyway it’s better than what I have which is nothing. Are the kobelcos a pretty good machine?This on would be pre def and has about 4500 hours. Owner said it’s good on fuel, doesn’t burn any oil and seems pretty solid. What would be some big ticket items that I’d want to check out. Thanks again for any advice!
If it was well maintained should give you years of good performance. Others would know better what to check on an excavator.
The lower mount could work depending on the geometry of the hydro thumb you buy but as WD said you'll need to weld a connection up the stick for the other end of the cylinder. I am assuming you haven't bought the machine? 4500 hours on a hoe is middle age for a smaller machine like a Kobelco 135 and just like humans, the shape it's in has a lot to do with how it was taken care of on its first 1/2 of life. My suggestion at the least is get some fluid samples or have someone get them for you on the engine oil, hydro, coolant, final drives and swing drive. We use our local Cat dealer for all oil analysis but there are other companies that offer the service. Also get the UC measured. Run the machine long and "hard" enough to get all the fluids to temp and see if anything is overheating. Check the slop in the pins and bushings. If the owner will not let or provide a place to run it like you will be running it then politely walk away.
Thanks for the info, I’ve talked about getting fluid samples. I think that would be money well spent.
My opinion on thumbs are, if the machine has a manual already, don’t change it. If it has no thumb, install an hydraulic one. Unless it’s a production machine used daily for your income it’s not worth the cost and hassle to cut the old one off and replace.