I have a Volvo ECR88, so in between a compact and full excavator. It has a Geith coupler and I'm installing a Geith pin on hydraulic thumb. I am getting different opinions on whether to use doubler plates on the stick. The stick is 3/8 thick on the mount face. If I do plate I'm thinking 3/8 low cargo steel. Plate the stick end? Under cylinder mount? The whole stick? None of the above? TIA. Jim
You should only need to plate where the cyl mounting ears weld on. The Thumb kit doesn't come with a plated mount? A small plate where the thumb hits the stick when fully retracted isn't a bad idea though. All the WBM thumbs come with them.
If you are going to weld on a boom or a stick of an excavator make sure you understand the proper procedures to prevent cracking. I used to work for a guy who had a local welder install a thumb on his machine. Needless to say he didn't do it right and he was left with the stick broken in half dangling by the hydraulic cylinder. Now this guy was a good welder he just didn't understand the stresses put on the stick of an excavator.
Deeretracks - The cylinder mount includes a diamond shaped plate the ears are welded to. The plate is about 5 x 9 and 5/8 inch thick. Doesn't seem like much area for welding. I can add a doubler between the cylinder mount and stick to spread the force over a longer but not wider area. I will probably need a small bump stop under the thumb/cylinder link area to add a little clearance to the stick when the thumb is retracted. S.R.E. - This is more than I feel comfortable with welding. I have talked with two welders. Both are recommended by others, certified and have welded thumbs before. I also have welding instructions from Geith and a number of other manufacturers and will go over them with the welder before we start. Thanks Guys. Jim