Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Thunderbird 500

Bentz ยท 2015-04-11 18:44

I am looking at a 1999 Thunderbird 500E Road Builder with very low hours. The turntable sounds like it is crushing gravel when you swing and is jerky. The rest of the machine is in good shape. Any ideas as to the problem with low hours on it?

Replies6
  1. #1tool_king2015-04-11 23:32

    Bentz Sound like you may have a swing motor issue or the swing bearing may have damaged ball bearing or no grease at in swing bearing.

  2. #2catman132015-04-12 01:30

    Sounds like the swing bearing is out. Will be big money to fix. I would look for something newer.

  3. #3Bentz2015-04-13 13:13

    catman13, I am afraid you are right on both points. But would still like to get in it and know what needs to be fixed. TB made the high walker U/C and Hyundai made the island. I am not sure where one stops and the other begins in the turntable. Don't know what the cost is to replace it?

  4. #4truckdoctor2015-04-15 22:40

    It's probably a Hyundai swing bearing. It's a lot of money and a lot of labor. Not to mention that the swing drive pinion may have to be replaced as well.

  5. #5Hallback2015-04-16 00:25

    Look in the back of Loggers World, there was a mobile outfit advertising turntable bearings installed for $5k.

  6. #6Bentz2015-04-16 16:05

    Thank you. I just found it in my latest issue. Will contact them if and when I find the problem.