Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Tier 3 coming to an end for Canada.

Canadian_digger ยท 2017-10-31 20:48

Pick up my brand new Tier 3 backhoe today. Was told this is one of the last 4 backhoes my dealer has ordered with tier 3 and are not able to get any more as tier 4 is mandatory Jan 1st 2018.

Replies19
  1. #1Canadian_digger2017-10-31 20:57
  2. #2crane operator2017-10-31 23:41

    This crane is a 2016 terex, its listed currently on iron planet at the factory in oklahoma. So if I buy it, and just sneak it into missouri, can I own it? Nobody here is going to check me. I have no idea how that works. I'm sure it was built for export to south america or something, but what would keep me from buying it and keeping it here? They've put hours on it here- testing I'm sure/ demonstrating. http://www.ironplanet.com/for-sale/...c|2088,m|Terex,sm|0&rr=0.5&hitprm=&pnLink=yes

  3. #3Junkyard2017-11-01 07:38

    I wouldn't be scared of it around here. Some crazy stuff would have to occur for it to become part of an emissions inspection process. The fact that it's a Mercedes engine scares me but maybe less than usual since it doesn't have all the emissions stuff hanging off of it. I'd be curious what series engine it is. I never was a fan of them in the Sterling rollback I had or the toter we use to drag the race trailer around.

  4. #4crane operator2017-11-01 12:12

    Here's a picture of the engine. I don't think its one of the mbe's that weren't real popular. I don't think terex can actually sell it in the us, as a manufacturer, but if they've sold it to some "clearing house" and it somehow doesn't get exported, I don't know what happens then. I think your biggest problem might be getting parts--- "this engine isn't supposed to be in the US, so no parts for you!" I'm not seriously looking at buying it, its way too expensive for me, I just don't know how they can be selling a export only engine.

  5. #592U 34062017-11-01 12:27

    Be a shame if that sticker were to lose its stickyness and fall off........

  6. #6Dickjr.2017-11-01 16:18

    Just put a 30 gallon drum around the exhaust pipe and put a spark plug in it. Add a blue DEF cap somewhere and it would be camouflaged. Back to the OP , I am looking at Deere backhoes , just curious why you choose Deere over others. I currently have a 416C Cat that has served me well. I had a 420F2 rented for about 6 weeks and was not real fond of it. Looks wise the Deere is a good looking tractor.

  7. #7Graham12017-11-01 19:31

    Think yourself lucky, we are already at stage 4, stage 5 by end of 2018! Mayor of London proposing to stop older construction equipment being used in London and if that comes off where will it stop?

  8. #8Canadian_digger2017-11-01 19:54

    I have always had Deere backhoes SE,SG,SJ and SL. They have for the most part been very reliable . I normally flip them around 5-6000hrs. Part of my reason to sticking with Deere is I am very familiar with them so repairs and service tend to be easier. All my buckets, attachment and filters also interchange. I priced a Case on my last purchase and it would have been $5000 cheaper. I couldn't bring myself to switching brands. I do have a couple of cat machines a bobcat and kubota. So I'm not only stuck on Deere. Only when it comes to backhoes.

  9. #9td25c2017-11-01 20:25

    Imagine if ya showed up with the checkbook open someone in the Terex office would figure out real quick how to make the deal go down ..... Money talks . That's how it works everywhere else . Nice looking rig Crane Op !

  10. #10John C.2017-11-01 22:20

    I think a non complying engine would be a very big head ache. I'm sure there won't be any smoke police with the current administration but you never know if some state legislature might decide they know more than everyone else.

  11. #11td25c2017-11-01 22:41

    Good point John C. Had a customer renovating a convenience store / fuel station . He took a drive around the whole country before making the decision on what the remodel would look like . Remember him saying that in Washington state you can not pump your own gas in to the car . No " self serve " stations . Any truth to that John ?

  12. #12John C.2017-11-01 23:04

    So far the state considers us smart enough. Oregon requires a minimum wage person to pump gas for you. Maybe they think it will cut down on the tent cities.

  13. #13hvy 1ton2017-11-01 23:06

    That is definitely a thing in NJ. Seeing John's post apparently OR too.

  14. #14Camshawn2017-11-01 23:27

    Here in the lower Fraser Valley of BC, old machines have a large Letter on the side. T0 T1 or T2 and a registration number that is visible from a great distance. If you did not register before 2 yrs ago, to bad, so sad..no old machines can be registered now. No registration, no work.( farmers exempt). Big fines for not following the rules. They even hired people to drive around and look for violators. We had an old standby generator we were putting into a self contained container, the chassis wheels made the unit mobile and that was the end of that. Cam

  15. #1592U 34062017-11-02 00:46

    Is that just a brilliant Vancouver-area idea like that stupid AirCare garbage ICBC was pushing there too?

  16. #16Camshawn2017-11-02 08:14

    Greater Vancouver area issue to clean up the "airshed". Even need a newer model truck to haul off the port. I think the politicians spend too much time in California

  17. #17td25c2017-11-02 21:27

    Gotcha John . My mistake , It was your neighbor to the south . My buddy was talking so fast about his road trip around the country scoping out convenience store / service stations for ideas it was hard to keep up with all the details . He finally came up with a pretty good layout . Fuel , fast food ,repair service , & parts store on the same lot . Funny part is these are old school ideas that still work today . Fuel up your rig & grab some fried chicken to go .

  18. #18DMiller2017-11-05 06:56

    On the Allis Forum had a thread where CA would buy up old machines, gave top dollar then take a air arc to the frame and block so as to not make functional for anyone else. Wonder if that is still drawing customers?

  19. #19old-iron-habit2017-11-10 22:34

    California was and may still be giving huge tax credits to destroy older "polluting" machines. A good friends mother had to pay $8,000 extra to buy a rare JD hi-crop tractor from a farm she did the accounting for because of the tax credit available if it were destroyed.