Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Tier regulations

BUTCH1 ยท 2009-08-16 17:39

Here in sunny California the air board is spanking us for polluting the air.I hear that by the year 2014 all off road engines will have to be at least tier 2 engines.My backhoe is a 2004 deere 310g ,how do I know if its a tier 1 or 2?I have 14 diesel engines at my farm,this could get ugly fast.looks like im getting a whippin !!!:Banghead

Replies4
  1. #1Bob Horrell2009-08-16 22:05

    I have a 2004 and it is a tier 2. My understanding is that tier 2 is only good to 2014 in small fleets - expires even earlier in large fleets.

  2. #2John C.2009-08-16 23:19

    The should be a tag on the valve cover or somewhere on the side of the engine that states the year of manufacture and the pollution standards the engine complies with. If there is no tag you should get a hold of your dealer and make arrangements to get that tag replaced, Pronto. Good Luck!

  3. #3cgraham12009-08-17 12:55

    California is just forcing people out of business or out of the state. I know a lot of small businesses with just 1 tractor and an older truck will not be able to afford the replacement of their equipment. I don't have $150,000 in my desk drawer to spend on a new backhoe and dump truck! This is absolutely ridiculous! Soon the only businesses left will be huge corporations and the government.

  4. #4BUTCH12009-08-17 18:30

    I Looked at the tag on the valve cover,it says "this engine conforms to 2004 us epa regulations for large non road compression ignition engines......"It has the engine model # etc and I was told that it would say tier 2 if in fact it was. Hopefully they (epa)give us a break.I only run 150-200 hrs /year.:beatsme