Can you remove a link to tighten tracks if you have run out of adjustment? Would greasing the track tension out too far cause the rod to leak grease around the end or is the seal blown? I'm new at tightening these tracks and need some guidance. Have had the machine for a long time and it's too nice to let it sit because of track tension. Help me get her going again please. Is this work something that I can do myself? I am a farmer and do all my other mechanics myself but this is something I don't know much about. Thanks.
The seal in the track adjuster is likely to be blown. They're not the easiest item on a Cat to work on. You need to separate the track and move the front idler forward to allow the adjuster piston to come out. But prior to track separation, you need to slacken off the adjuster completely, place the likes of a track pin in the top, forward-side teeth of the sprocket, and then drive backwards a couple of feet until the track pulls the idler as far rearward as possible. You then separate the track chain by unscrewing the 4 bolts in the master track shoe, and roll the track out on the ground. You should then be able to unbolt the idler pushrod, move the idler forward, and access the track adjuster piston. No part of this job is a one-man operation, you will need two men, and lifting equipment such as a small crane, forklift or front end loader. If the track recoil spring mechanism is required to be removed as part of the adjuster repair, then that requires specialised Cat tooling.
Is this the same 21Z4421 machine you have posted about before.? Do you know in which position the front idlers are set.? Refer to the attached starting at the bottom of Page 5 and come back if you have more questions.
Thanks. I will be getting back to you after I find time to check things out further. Planting season is going on her and that takes priority over everything. You didn't say if it's possible to remove a link if I have no further adjustment.
There was a reason for that. First we need to know the position of the track adjuster mechanism on the idler. Possibly a simple adjustment of the tensioning linkage might be all that's required. It's all in the earlier attachment.
Well make sure that you don't go anywhere LOL because I will be letting you know what's going on as soon as I get the thing hauled back to my shop. I think I'd rather have it here to work on rather than in the field. Thanks for helping and I'll get back with you later.
Yes my number is 21Z04421. I got the loader home so now you can tell me what to do. I looked and I DO have another set of forward holes so I guess I can move the idler arms forward to help tighten the tracks. Looks like the bushings in the bottom of that arm are worn so maybe they need replaced??? You just instruct me the best you can and I'll be all ears. I have service and tech manuals on this machine but sometimes it's best to hear from an experienced person, such as you sound. Thank you for any help and if you charge for your services I'll be more than happy to pay!
Can you post a photo of the idlers on both sides of the machine that clearly show the tensioner linkages.?
Like Nige said are your idler brackets bolted on the end or in one bolt. you most likely will not be able to take a link out unless tracks are worn out past useable
I stated that I do have another hole that I can move the idler brackets forward, thus it would help tighten the track further. Mine are in the rearward set of holes now and the tightening cylinders are maxxed out but the tracks are still way too loose.
I'm not sure if I have the computer skills to do pictures. I may try but no promises.
It's rocket science. Take picture, unload on desktop. Right below is a little paperclip that says attach files. Click on that and load the picture you want to add. Click insert and like magic, picture is in your post. Joe H
Had to get my wife to do the pics. Guess I'm not a rocket scientist.
Well there ya go. What you guys say ???
Your idlers can still be moved forward 1988 Cat 953 - Caterpillar. My First Track Loader Those conditions are best waitied out to Dry Season!! HeavyEquipmentForums
You are in for a little more than moving a few bolts. Bad Bob
Care to elaborate??? This machine is for our personal use and rarely sees more than 50 hours a year on it, thus we understand and are aware that some components are beyond wear limits but do not make financial sense for us to replace.
Sorry I forgot this machine is on a farmer maintenance program and things aren't repaired till they fall off. Bad Bob
Tracks look wore out move idler may buy you a little more time