Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Tilt deck equipment trailers

Andy1845c · 2021-04-08 22:30

I found a trailer similar to this one for sale locally. https://www.truckpaper.com/listings/trailers/for-sale/199476787/2004-towmaster Looking for some opinions. Its a towmaster T20 which I believe is a 20K pound capacity? I can't find one exactly like it online for reference. I did a search here and see pros and cons about tilt decks vs bevertails. It looks like the wheels are so far forward. I see people talking about how they can haul two machines on one of these but its a pain. How much can you put behind the axles and not bend the thing? How do they pull/back? How nightmarish is the tailswing? The truck I have to pull it has the turning radius of a school bus so I am not super worried but they look like that have at least as much ass as a 53' dry van with the wheels slid in.

Replies7
  1. #1skyking12021-04-08 23:51

    20 tons gross. This is based on 6000 tongue weight and 34,000 on the axles. Typical empty weight is 10,000 your net load is 15 tons. I haul a 120 with thumb on a similar but shorter trailer with no fixed deck. That ad is wrong, it is not a beavertail. it has a 5 foot fixed and 24 foot tllt and yes it is a long one. You do have to mind your tail swing for sure I don't care what you tow with. I like fixed porches like that for tools, but I haul all mine in the dump truck anyway. I would not like that long a trailer if I didn't have a need for it, like hauling a grader or something long.

  2. #2Andy1845c2021-04-18 22:49

    Well it followed me home.... I’ll post some more pictures eventually. Needs a little work here and there. One tire replaced and she should DOT just fine. Tows like a dream.

  3. #3skyking12021-04-18 23:06

    Congrats!

  4. #4John C.2021-04-19 10:27

    T20 usually means twenty foot deck. The spec sheet shows 10K axles so the trailer is good for twenty thousand pounds which is ten tons gross. https://towmaster.com/product/t-20-20lp-24-24lp/ Nice looking trailer.

  5. #5heymccall2021-04-19 11:03

    T20 is a 20k lb capacity trailer. T24 is a 24k lb capacity trailer. Deck length is not indicated by the number in the model. The letter(s) in Towmaster models indicate the type, with "T" being a conventional Trailer, and, "TT" indicating Trailer with Tilt.

  6. #6skyking12021-04-20 21:17

    he had linked a 20 ton trailer in his original post, hence the confusion.

  7. #7Andy1845c2021-04-20 21:19

    I am actually only the second owner of this trailer. The guy I bought it from had it custom made by Towmaster. He had a paving company and it was set up for hauling a paver and a small roller. I think the deck may be longer than some? He said they made a few changes to keep it as low as possible and added the little ramps to help with the low clearance of a paver.