Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Timberjack 460 won’t go in gear

Timberjack460 ยท 2015-03-30 12:22

Hello I am new to this site I have a 98 Timberjack 460 log Skidder that won't go into forward or reverse gears. It has a paddle shifter and next to that is the box that indicates what gear your in on that box is 3 lights with letters next to them top to bottom they are S T F all 3 are supposed to light up but only 2 stay lit now the light next to F will light up when ignition is turned on then go right out trying to figure out where to start being that I have no manuals or electrical diagrams

Replies5
  1. #1partsandservice2015-03-30 20:57

    Take the vertical panel off between shifter and seat. There is a toggle switch, unplug the shifter and plug into toggle switch. You now have one forward and on reverse gear. If trans engages the the shifter is bad or has lost power. I believe if you pull it into reverse down shift and hold it there then turn key on it will run a self test for the entire circuit. Do the two dashes stay up even when you shift into gear ?

  2. #2Timberjack4602015-03-30 23:32

    Thanks for the reply I took the panel off and plugged into the toggle it moves forward and reverse and yes when I put it into gear and try shifting the 2 dashes stay up how do I tell if it's the shift control box or some other problem

  3. #3partsandservice2015-03-31 00:46

    There are no other control modules on your machine. The shift controller is the tcu. So since the toggle works trans, then controller is the malfunction. However, the controller failure could be the result of a wire short. The trans harness travels along right hand side of tractor and then goes over trans to control valve on left hand side. Check for wire chafing where it goes up and over under pumps.

  4. #4laycobeau2015-03-31 12:57

    If you don't find anything with the cables. email me direct ( [email protected] ) and I will email you the diagnostics test for that shifter (EGS54) p.s. I CAN REPAIR THE SHIFTER IF IT IS BAD.

  5. #5Timberjack4602015-04-07 21:04

    Thanks for all the help the controller ended up being bad