Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Time to end it…

Welder Dave · 2019-01-25 02:11

Back in the summer I posted about some issues I was having building a flat track motorcycle track on my land with someone who was contributing money into the project. He was helping some more and assured me on several occasions he was fully committed. It's kind of been a roller coaster though. We had a big motorcycle show here a couple weeks ago. He and most likely his wife had some brochures made up. I thought it was a good idea but can print my own simple brochures. They paid a print shop to have them put on thicker glossy paper. I wasn't even consulted about them so asked if he could e-mail me a sample a couple weeks before the show. First thing the GF noticed was that there wasn't even a link to my website. You wouldn't even know I was involved in it. It had links to Facebook and Twitter they set up and his shops phone number and his cell number. It was obvious no one proof read it either. I got ahold of him briefly at his shop on the Thanksgiving holiday but had really poor reception so he said he'd call me back when he got home. 5 hours later at 7:30 I hadn't heard anything so sent a text message with my comments on the brochures. He texts me back saying he's at a family dinner and the flyers were mostly to promote the new flat track but he won't take them to the show but use them at his shop. He definitely seemed upset judging by his message. Next morning he texted again and said it was just an oversight he didn't include my website and would call the printer to have them changed before they were printed. Other issues I had were I get a lots of calls after hours so are his numbers a good choice. If I have trouble getting ahold of him how are people interested in the track going to? There were some obvious grammatical errors too, "we took every consideration into detail" instead of we took every detail into consideration and on info for riding schools put "there is many schools and dates in different cities" instead of there are many schools and dates in different cities. It didn't look professional. Then I get a call asking if I can pick them up to take to show on the weekend because he can't make it. They weren't changed and they took a black felt pen and crossed off his contact numbers. I spent the weekend at the show and talked with the head of Flat Track Canada who does the insurance and schools and had demo races at the show. It was really good promotion for the new track. I've asked him to call me in the evening and last weekend and haven't heard a thing. It's been almost 2 weeks. I sent him a text yesterday and a phone message today. I think if I don't here from him this weekend I should get a lawyer to draft a letter to pay him off and be done with him. I'm just worried he'll bad mouth me to everybody and try to keep people away from the track(s). Should I wait for an explanation or just give him the boot?

Replies25
  1. #1thepumpguysc2019-01-25 05:19

    Damn Dave.. I think I can say without sounding like an azz.. we all saw this coming.. Between the girlfriend acting like your boss & the other fiasco's, there was really no other outcome. Is the track TOTALLY done?? Do u still need HIS funding.?? The worst thing u can do is surprise him w/ a letter from an attorney.. THATS WHEN the fireworks start.. Its time for a lunch/sit down meeting.!!! W/O the GF.!! I cant stress that enough.. WITHOUT the GF.. This **** has been going on from the start.. Sorry for your troubles.. keep us posted.

  2. #2DIYDAVE2019-01-25 06:27
  3. #3Vetech632019-01-25 06:50

    I don't know of any partnership that I have heard of working out for the best. It is usually scenarios like this. When money is involved, someone inherently turns evil.

  4. #4crane operator2019-01-25 08:28

    I'm sorry that its not working out Dave.

  5. #5Welder Dave2019-01-25 09:32

    A meeting would be good if I could get ahold of him. I know he's working a lot running a welding truck right now but that's no excuse for not contacting me. Doing stuff without consulting me isn't good either.

  6. #6Tarhe Driver2019-01-25 10:35

    I, also, am sorry it's not working out, but the situation reminds me of an old saying: "The most important part of a partnership is the dissolution contract.'

  7. #7crane operator2019-01-25 13:32

    My dad had a partner for 20 years, and they sold the business together and both retired. It can work, but it takes a lot of give and take on both sides. I know they didn't always agree, but they always made it work, could agree to disagree on things, and still have a good relationship. I think it probably helped they were both from similar backgrounds and had similar financial situations, and it was 50/50. I think it can be much more difficult when 1 partner is the $ guy and the other guy is the labor/ day to day worker, I think then its much harder to see where the other guy is coming from and each side feels like they are doing all the work or all the investing, or that they are being taken advantage of. It takes a lot of trust in the other person, that you each are looking out not only for yourself, but the other guy too. You at least tried to make it work Dave. Splitting out of it doesn't have to be ugly, the fact that you have different visions of what you want the track to be, doesn't mean you have to be enemies. This is going to sound sexist, but I think men are much better than this than women are. Most guys can agree to disagree, and go on with life and no feelings are hurt. If women don't all come a group "agreement", they are out for blood.

  8. #8DMiller2019-01-25 16:24

    Made the mistake of a Partner, ONCE, will NOT do that again, will work FOR someone will be my own boss but not gonna go thru a similar set of games again. Been asked to be 'The Money Man' more than once, nope, can't do it. Heard that 'We'll work it out' a few times where have not walked down those paths either. Can buy my Own stuff, trade and barter, but not setting anyone else up for business or being set up in business as a Partnership again.

  9. #9Tinkerer2019-01-25 18:13

    I also am sorry to read this Dave. What he is doing is inexcusable. I remember your original thread quite well. I think his girlfriend is leading him around like a bull with a ring in it's nose. He is avoiding you because of her. You need an attorney and get on the offense . Nothing good is going to happen with them after reading his track record. Excuse the pun.

  10. #10Welder Dave2019-01-25 20:40

    Thanks for comments everyone. I talked to him awhile back and he was much better but then goes back to his old ways. He paid a guy $450 to take pictures with a drone without even telling me. The pictures are good but then he says he wants to have artists concept done up what the facility will look like when it's all finished. He also thinks a marketing company should be hired. How much is all this going to cost? Wouldn't it make sense to consult with the land owner and your track partner? Hopefully this link works to show how much work was done. Hiring the 850J WLT was 25K which he paid 17K and I paid 8K. I never intended to contribute that much but when the guy is giving us a good deal at $150/hr. and wants to be paid, I paid him. However the dump truck is mine and another guy donated time hauling over 55 loads of clay to build the track up. I'm sure that saved thousands over having to push it with the Cat. The holes were used to bury all the bush that was cleared. The grader was from the gravel pit and no cost. I did hire the county grader for a few hours for low price of $100/hr. I spent way more time working on the track than he did. He likes to blame other people for not helping out and somehow figures if someone else helps me lets him off the hook. He inherited a tractor but it developed a knock so is out of commission. He did do some work with it and even had his mom out picking rocks. His mom was happy to be outside helping but she's in her mid 60's so then he has to take her home cause she's tired. We had people coming to try out the track on a holiday Monday and he said he said he would prep the track Sat and Sun. Then he gets a call to go pipelining and they want him there right away but it's 2 provinces away. He came for 2 1/2 hours Sat and said he was coming back on Sun. but never showed up. This is all too common with him. He was supposed to help me haul sand in the fall but found out another guy was going out to cut some brush along my driveway so never came. That guy then helped me dig the sand and I hauled it. Even the helper said his helping me wasn't to replace the other guy helping. I think I need him to write down what he thinks should be happening regarding this venture and I can compare to what I think should be happening. If he's got (and/or his wife) his own agenda and is trying to take over the new track and doing things behind my back, I'll shut the whole the whole thing. My GF says maybe I should just sell the whole property to him and not have to bothered with it anymore. I'd want about 300K for the property, equipment and zoning I have to operate an off road vehicle park. I think it would be a lot more difficult to get the zoning if I had to now. https://www.facebook.com/TricountyF...0.1548464425./307153316578471/?type=3&theater https://www.facebook.com/pg/TricountyFTrack/photos/?ref=page_internal

  11. #11DMiller2019-01-26 09:18

    Some days we eat the Bear some days it gets us. Still sorry to hear and was looking good Dave!!

  12. #12Welder Dave2019-01-26 13:18

    So much work has been done and it's so close to being ready. I just need him to call me and tell me what's going on. This silent treatment I have no idea if he's spending money on other stuff track related, figures I'm the bad guy or has something else going on in his life. I'm at my wits end what to do. Send a letter from myself to his shop saying this is never going to work if you don't communicate with me?

  13. #13Tinkerer2019-01-26 14:20

    Be very careful Dave. If you suspect he is spending money on the track without telling you, bad things are in your future. Like maybe he is setting you up to take complete possession of everything. Maybe you should hunt him down and go one to one on what he is doing.

  14. #14td25c2019-01-26 15:54

    On a good note the track looks like it's coming along nice .

  15. #15catman132019-01-26 17:52

    You need a lawyer, this looks like it's going end BADLY , and he is going to try and force a levered buy out and you will end up with short end of the stick, his reason will because he spent all of the money you put nothing into it . Just my 2 cents

  16. #16StanRUS2019-01-26 18:57

    YES, good idea before jumping into any type of partnership. Two beers and a hand sake doesn't workout in today's world if money is involved. Partner with friendly Canadian girlfriend adviser? Trained at institutes of higher education to negotiate.

  17. #17Tarhe Driver2019-01-26 20:16

    Dave, you so need a lawyer's counsel. He/she would be an advocate-with-knowledge for you. You will soon realize how cheap his/her services will be in relation to what he will save you. Full dusclosure -- my goddaughter is an Army lawyer. Neill

  18. #18Welder Dave2019-01-26 21:09

    I can't believe it but he actually called me today. Why it took so long I don't know. He finished the job he was on and a spent a week cleaning up at the acreage he inherited last year. He didn't seem upset or anything so that's a good sign. We had a good conversation about the track and what happened at the show. He said there's lots of interest in the track from the go kart guys. Apparently it's a big thing in California to put rain tires on shifter carts and run them on dirt. He said he's not going to be doing service work at his shop so he can be spend more time at the track. He had a young mechanic and can't spend all his time baby sitting him. I going to set up a meeting with him in the next week or so to discuss having a lawyer draw up a partnership agreement outlining the duties and responsibilities of both of us. I don't think anyone who's legit would have a problem with this. If he does then I really need to reconsider if I want him involved. He seems on board to want to contribute more so that's a good thing. The main thing that has to change is the communication and following through with what he says he's going to do. The track seemed like a priority to him unless something else came up and something else came up more often than not.

  19. #19Tarhe Driver2019-01-26 21:57

    Get a written, and signed by both of you, dissolution ageeement as part if yiye agreement.

  20. #20td25c2019-01-26 22:31

    I'm getting that funky feeling in my gut ….. Hate it when that happens . It tells me Dave needs to separate himself from this guy like yesterday . With all the various ways of communication now and on a business or money issue it's instant be it good or bad news . If this cat is hard to get in touch with it's because that's how he wants it . Something aint rite ? " That dog don't hunt ! "

  21. #21Welder Dave2019-01-26 22:54

    He doesn't have a computer at home, only at the shop and I'm NOT going to deal his wife. The exact reason we questioned his number listed for people to get info about the track after hours. If I can't get ahold of him, how do riders get ahold of him? Is he screening my calls or not interested or what??? I think a meeting to lay everything on the table might make him realize he needs to smarten up or I'll give him the boot.

  22. #22td25c2019-01-26 23:05

    That dog don't hunt .

  23. #23StanRUS2019-01-27 00:55

    Buy him out and work with Flat Track Canada Google / Facebook location for Tri-County Flat Track Democratic Republic Congo?

  24. #24catman132019-01-27 09:56

    How long are you going to put up with this nut job before you wake up and see this is going to end very bad for you . This has been going on for how long with the same results .. Get with flat track Canada and make your dream come true,

  25. #25Welder Dave2019-01-27 15:23

    I'm in the process of getting insurance quotes from Flat Track Canada. There are some dates set with the local flat track club. I going to have a meeting with the guy and read him the riot act. If he doesn't agree he's gone. I cut him a little slack because his uncle (he was really close with) passed away unexpectedly. His uncle was diabetic but didn't look after himself. The nephews didn't do much to help him on the farm or look after him. My track partner was supposed to pick his uncle up on a Friday night and wanted to take him to see the track we were building. He got tied up and went Saturday morning only to find his uncle had passed away. The nephews blame him and said he could have taken the uncle to the hospital on Friday. Found out later that the neighbor offered to take the uncle to the hospital on Friday but the uncle refused. He inherited the uncles farm because the nephews never lifted a finger to help out. He's also the executer of the estate.