Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Time to order new tires

RVR6000 · 2021-09-26 21:00

Our Deere 770BH at the township needs new tires on the tandems. Been hearing good things about the Michelin X Snow Plus. Our local guy, who we try to get our tires from, was ready to order them up for us but his price jumped $300 per tire inside of two weeks. Afraid we'll have to go with one of the bigger shops. Prior to the price jump the local guy was only about $45 more....but who's more likely to come out during a snowstorm and help you.

Replies16
  1. #1Jonas3022021-09-26 21:13

    The snow plus are a really good choice in tire In MN we can get state pricing discount on bridgestones and michelins for township graders Are they three piece wheels? I have been using sealer in those to eliminate all the o ring slow leaks and nail holes too We recap some too when the casings are good

  2. #2cuttin edge2021-09-27 19:16

    We run them year round. Really good in snow. They do suck in mud, they fill up quick, but pretty good all around.

  3. #3ovrszd2021-10-10 19:02

    First, Michelin all the way. I am a faithful user of their radial grader tires. As to Snow tires, can't help ya. With a rear wheel drive machine I'm not sure how much gain you'll see with snow tires. You'll probably still have to chain up. If so, I'd prefer a standard tread design which will work much better in dirt conditions. Let us know what you decide and the results.

  4. #4cuttin edge2021-10-10 21:01

    You would be surprised how well they work. Some of the guys here that do logging roads, carry chains, but almost never use them use them, and these are roads that are always ice packed, and only get sand on hills and bad turns. I tout the awesomeness of winter tires on machinery every year, but unless you can try them.... Yes, they will never be as good as chains, but there is no chaining up, or taking them off, and where we do a lot of traveling on dry pave from one spot to the next, you can go wide open.

  5. #5ovrszd2021-10-11 18:34

    Yep, I hear ya. Unless you can have two sets, I'd prefer standard radials. I wouldn't expect snow tires to wear well. And I wouldn't expect them to work good in dirt. I've watched several videos of European graders working snow/ice. AWD machines w/snow tires and no chains. They work very well.

  6. #6ianjoub2021-10-11 18:42

    I bought a set of Michelins for my car 9 months ago, $1100. I bought the same set yesterday, $1800. This was through my same old wholesale account with ATD. I don't believe it, but some people say that there are repercussions when the government prints currency out of thin air.

  7. #7Fatgraderman2021-10-12 02:29

    The Michelin Snow tires on the machine I run have over 8000 hours on them and we’ll probably leave them for a while yet before switching them out.

  8. #8ovrszd2021-10-12 10:32

    WOW!!!! I can get 3000 hours and be at 10% or less tread. The surface you run on and the load you put on the machine must be greatly different than I.

  9. #9cuttin edge2021-10-12 18:33

    I find that I can get more years out of the winters than the rock tires

  10. #10ovrszd2021-10-12 19:16

    Always up for learning new things. Next machine I'll look into snow tires. I run 17.5s. Thanks for your input!!

  11. #11Fatgraderman2021-10-12 21:15

    Did you see Nige’s comment in the radial tire prices thread? We do pretty much the same thing. They might have an easier life in the winter season as well. Not sure. We haven’t had good luck recapping these Michelins though. The sidewalks are usually full of slits by the time the tread is warn out. We always had good luck recapping Bridgestones in the past. my only real complaint with the snow tires is the way they throw rocks. They’re window killers. And these new tempered windows just explode.

  12. #12ovrszd2021-10-13 09:37

    A neighboring Township has two sets of tires. They only run their snows in Winter. They complain about them throwing rocks too. I've always had Michelins until this machine. It's got Bridgestones. I think the Bridgestones "bounce" a little more. Too early to report wear rate.

  13. #13cuttin edge2021-10-13 18:02

    It's suprising how man miles you put on. My machine has around 5200 hours on it, but it has 33000KMs or about 20500 miles on it.

  14. #14Jonas3022021-10-13 19:32

    I sent some really nice michlins for capping last week they will come back with snow tread I've noticed that too with michlen casings developing sidewall problems i always blamed our mounted packers for beating them up that was on machines with 14s these 17.5s probly carry the weight better this machine lives inside and doesnt get a fraction of the miles that the other ones do

  15. #15Fatgraderman2021-10-14 08:38

    Was that directed at me? I haven’t looked at the odometer on this one. Guys at Fort Mac talk about putting 7000 hours a year on things. This one was 9 years old when the story was written. https://www.finning.com/en_CA/compa...ier-groups-cat-160m-new-life-for-conexpo.html

  16. #16Old Doug2021-10-14 09:50

    I have worked in the a tire shop on and off for several years. Have you checked around is the other place that much cheaper. We get tires from places that sell to every one in a 100+ mile radius. If a customer finds a good deal some were we find out how they can sell cheaper.