Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Tiny machine with thumb

KellyWagner ยท 2017-03-28 13:29

The rental joints do not put thumbs on machines smaller then 2 tons in my area. I found a private rental guy who has a tiny kx-008 with a thumb that I rented to do a tiny job my 70 size would not fit in. This thing was very handy for what I wanted to do, and I see a market for bare rentals in my town with one. I have found an insurer that will cover it and I am experienced in the business end of things, but can anyone tell me why the rental places would not offer something like this with a thumb? Is there something about that small of a machine with a correctly installed thumb that can cause more damage then any other size? I see an opportunity here, but don't wanna drop 35 grand on something thats inherrinetly flawed.

Replies4
  1. #1lantraxco2017-03-29 17:11

    Smaller machines tend to come without a cab, or even a ROPS canopy, and adding a thumb increases the odds of tipping a small machine over exponentially due to picking up off center loads, especially if you're renting to the DIY market. I would give it whirl, just consider that issue when selecting the machine and also when instructing rental customers before they put it to use. Seat belts are a must, but almost never used, enclosed cab with seat belt is even better.

  2. #2cuttin edge2017-03-29 18:44

    Get a machine with a cab or some type of ROPs. We used to rent smaller machines for indoor plumbing jobs, and most sites won't allow machines without some type of rollover protection

  3. #3kevin37b2017-03-31 10:52

    If not careful that thumb could be in your face .

  4. #4lumberjack2017-03-31 11:30

    Who did you find for rental liability insurance?