Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Tiny Tier 4 Engines

Birken Vogt ยท 2016-08-13 11:36

Recently a contractor has been widening the road in front of my house. They rented a small Cat vibratory 2 drum roller. It has the newest engine which from looking in the side is the same old Caterpillar which is really Perkins which is really IHI-Shibaura in that very small size. It has the same inline injection pump in block but it obviously has a DPF. I had assumed that a new injection system would be needed to make it clean enough for DPF but I guess this is not so. Anybody have any experience with these? I also wonder how well the DPF temperature and duty cycle will work on a roller. Seems like the engine would not work too hard most of the time, or lots of idling.

Replies1
  1. #1lantraxco2016-08-13 16:42

    74Hp and below have less stringent regulations so they're easier to make pass. Some manufacturers build these small engines with no DPF and no SCR.