Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Tips for buying a mini

Jf51084 ยท 2016-02-12 09:08

Hello all, I am about to pull the trigger on a used Takeuchi tb020 . I was surprised to learn it didn't have a title but someone here told me that's nothing to worry about with them. Condition and hours are the most important . I thought that knowing the year of production would help to figure out a baseline for price . But the owner doesn't know how old it is (estate auction). Pic to follow this post, runs and operates 100% and has 2700 hours . What's it worth?

Replies15
  1. #1Jf510842016-02-12 09:10
  2. #2Rentalstop2016-02-12 18:48

    Takeuchi TB 020 was manufactured 1994-2001. So there's a rough idea on age. 2700 is a lot of hours on these little machines. Check all of the pins and bushings. My buddy just bought a TB 007 with similar hours. Paid $3k when he looked a lot closer the frame & arm holes where the pins went thru were worn out. Probably needs welded and bored out again. Not really happy his purchase. Just check it over, oil, air filter, boom, arm, bucket play. Does it start easy, smoke? Try digging with it, max dig should be 7ft 7in. When they get worn out, they won't dig three feet. If you make an offer start low.

  3. #3drivadesl2016-02-13 08:17

    That machine looks in decent condition, at least cosmetically. I like that it has a thumb. If it runs and operates as you say, the hours aren't as important, and I would jump on it. Being from NJ you will likely pay more. Let us know what you paid, if you can get that for anywhere under 10K, I think you did well. BTW I'm trying to guess what make is the old car with the fins. Maybe make the guy a package deal?

  4. #4Jf510842016-02-16 08:08

    The old car is a Buick , and I can get the machine for 9000 cash, I'm concerned because it doesn't have a title , how do I know it's not stolen or something ? The guy seems nice and all , but 10 grand is a lot of money to me ?!?

  5. #5maddog2016-02-16 08:46

    honestly 9k for that machine is on the high side, should be looking around the 6k mark if it runs good and is in decent shape. I bought a JCB(about the same size) with only 400hrs in great shape for 8k, it was a real good machine. Machines of this size are out there if your willing to look, and fair prices. As Rentalstop wrote, that is up there in hours for a machine of that size, and yes that does effect price. Not writing that it's no good, just that it is highly used, kind of like buying a car with 275k miles.

  6. #6Rentalstop2016-02-16 08:48

    Get the VIN number and call your local Takeuchi dealer. Tell them you are looking at buying it. My Bobcat dealer can usually tell me when and where the unit was sold. Any type of warranty work that was done at another Bobcat dealer. Most importantly, they may be able to tell you if it was ever reported stolen. Equipment auctions like Ritchie Bros. and Lyons don't give you a title either. You could have the seller type up a bill of sale. Notarize it and keep it in the safe. If you buy it. I would keep looking. $9000 is a lot of money. I am sure you have searched elsewhere. Equipment trader. Machinery trader. ???

  7. #7caterpillar132016-02-16 23:34

    looks nice, but no quick coupler and it has a tail swing and is there other buckets . i would keep looking andi would keep an eye on it and let him sit on it for awhile maybe he will come down some more to a reasonable price.

  8. #8Uphill2016-02-17 21:56

    Looks like a 1959 Buick Lasaber. Most has a 330 c.u. Engine.

  9. #9Canuck Digger2016-02-20 18:16

    Price seems a little high, even though it does have a thumb. So that's couple of K right there. Call your tak dealer and run the vin. Maybe even you local police dept. to make sure it wasn't reported stolen. The older/higher hours on a machine, the more critical service records become. I'd ask about those. I would not touch a machine that age/that many hours unless I know the basic services were done. Re. the worn out pins, bushings etc., unless you're a contractor/owner operator using it for commercial business use, who cares. Around your property doesn't really matter if there is some slop. Beats shoveling. What most new buyers don't realize is how much parts/labour cost if something significant blows up.

  10. #10melli2016-02-20 22:12

    Hmm...around here, 9k would be very reasonable, if in good shape (thumb is important around here). Agree with others about checking with police, dealer for history, age and theft. A lot of older machines have slop...raise bucket off ground and shake front by hand to see how bad. Push bucket into ground, raising machine, and see how much slop at pivot. Raise tracks off ground, and check rollers and idler for side to side play. I'm pushing 4k hrs in my machine, and the Kubota engine is going strong. Really depends on maintenance history. Of course, lowballing on an estate sale seems like the prudent thing to do since you cannot get a history on the machine (that is, talk to the person who operated it). I always buy things like this with an eye on resell. If I didn't like it, or I found it wanting, what could I reasonably expect to sell it for? Forgot to mention that I asked for signed sales agreement attesting that the seller had no liens, encumbrances etc., on the machine. Can usually find a form letter specific to your area that would cover some bases...I was a tad leery when I bought mine, as I never saw the owner (he was terminally ill), and his friend was selling it on his behalf. Lots of red flags went up for me..lol His friends ID came out, as did a notarized statement authorizing him to sell machine, and a trip to a bank to consummate deal.

  11. #11Todd v.2016-02-24 12:55

    I don't think they were sold new with titles... I just bought a new Bobcat last year, no title...

  12. #12Rentalstop2016-02-24 20:55

    Todd v. How do you like the Bobcat you bought I believe it had the Doosan engine as noted on another thread. Lmk what you think. I am about ready to buy one myself. Any thoughts good or bad would be appreciated. Thx

  13. #13Todd v.2016-02-25 11:23

    I bought a skidsteer, an S630 and have had no problems in 250 hours. Still the original fuel filter as well. I like the Machine, the Cat is smoother but the Bobcat is smaller with the same power.

  14. #14movindirt2016-02-25 14:09

    I have never seen a machine sold with a title, usually write up a bill of sale with the date, price and general description of the machine that is signed by both parties involved to seal the deal

  15. #15maddog2016-02-26 08:14

    The OP hasn't posted any updates......guess he figured things out??????????