I'm going to be doing some site work on my property this winter with my single axle dump and looking for advice on what chains to get, and how many wheels should be chained up. I have a set of chains on my 2wd backhoe, and it made that tractor into a real workhorse in the snow and ice, looking to give my dump any advantage I can as well. We can't run chains on the road here in Michigan, so these chains will only get used off road. Is there a specific type that works better than others for off road use? Should I plan on chaining up all 4 drives, or just the outers (or inners)? Also, in soft or muddy conditions, will the chains hurt the trucks performance or help it? I know their benefit in snow and ice, but I don't have any experience with chains in mud. Everyone either favors 4wd vehicles, or stops working til things freeze up. I'm expecting soft ground from now until freeze up, but it's hard to say when that will occur. Thoughts? Rear drives are new as well.
Based on my experience chains help everywhere. For your use I’d do doubles. I’d look for logging style if it were me. They’re more expensive but last longer, are more aggressive and are made of better material. The main key is spending time getting them on right, getting them tight and keeping them tight. Don’t be afraid to use several bungees. The ones from the truck stop are ok, they don’t live long and are geared more to keep guys “legal” where the chain law is in affect. I have a set of double rails for tall 24.5 that are a hardened square link. They’ve been used quite a few times and are still in great shape. I’ve even got the tool to repair them, add or subtract links etc. Whatever you can get your hands on is better than nothing. I wouldn’t be afraid to throw some singles on the steer axle either if it’s all off road in the muck, snow and ice. We had a terrible ice storm about 10-11 years ago. I chained up my old feed truck, had the cake feeder full as well as a bale on the back. I believe I could have climbed trees with that truck!
I have the dually chains on my 4700 international and it makes a world of difference. They are the plain ladder chains but it covers the inner and outer dual. They are not alot of fun to throw on, but they make the truck much less helpless. I will say that the open differential is my limiting factor besides the steering axle not being powered. I would still wait if it's a soggy mess but it will keep you from getting stopped in a inch of slime or an icy spot. It is not 4wd though.
Something like this?
Yep that’s close. I’m assuming by price and appearance that they’re not a hardnened link but being off road that’s not near as important. I bought my super dooper set used or I wouldn’t have them. It was dumb luck I found them around this part of the country.
I have chains from these people for my Allis Tractor, was one of few places that showed a size capable. Best price too and they are on currently as we are about to get dumped on. My Tractor chains are a Circle pattern to center of two cross chains, work great. Worked chain law states out west, a few would carry singles and set up a outside dual on occasion, seemed a lot of work to get minimal aid, My unit always had enough to do all the duals as pairs as well a set for steer and a set for one axle trailer as needed.
Do you have clearance to run doubles. My IH dosent so i can only run singles. The singles still help alot i have never had a problen going were i needed to go with the singles in the 15 years i have owned it its. I was reading the specs on a 40s IH truck and it had the inside tire to spring clearance wrote down.
That's a good thought Doug. I'll have to measure my clearance on inside of duals to spring pack before I go buying a set of doubles.
There spendy but get yourself a set of Pewag three railer's, out last anything else. Truck Shop
My old K100C had Torsion ride(POS) where had plenty of clearance, until the knuckles flipped over.
Get a set of Pewag or Trygg three rail. I like the Trygg as they are lighter and last really well about $500.00 per set.
TS & WYWrench are spot on.
Finally got chains on. Good thing I'm behind in all my other projects too.
I always like to throw some bungees on to make sure they stay tight, including the loose end so it doesn’t flop around.
I did buy bungies, I didn't have them on before I took the pics though. Those cam locks are pretty nice, I've never used a set of chains that had them.