Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Tire Chains or Snow Tires for Skid steer?? I’m stuck lol.

hdm ยท 2016-12-19 11:42

Got my skid steer stuck good this weekend... pushed it back into a ditch (thought i was using bucket to get unstuck). I'll be digging and digging before i look to pull this out. Couple of questions (and yes, is is quite buried, my 4x4 forklift gave up on me getting it out, although i believe the chain i used was crappy). 1) would you just put chains on this? I'm leaning towards chains on the rear tires, 2link (so more cross chains), D-style.... well thsese ones http://www.canadianchains.ca/Double-Duty-Square-Link--Skid-Steer_p_36.html 2) or would you get the snow tires for the machine instead? i have a plow i can make mount for the case coming now... (a pity plow i'll cal lit) to push the snow better. My old forklift (new owner hasn't picked it up yet) pushed out 18" of snow without a worry. i need this machine to be able to take over. I believe chains and the plow will take care of business.

Replies49
  1. #1Jonas3022016-12-19 12:04

    Chains and a snow bucket never cared for a plow on a skid especially a little one they are not near as effective as having the plow on a pickup you wont go fast enough to throw the snow and it will drift your front over if you have it angled in deep snow Not to mention there is no pushing out with a plow In the meantime hook a chain up to the bucket and tie off on a strong tree or your forklift raise the boom and curl the bucket back it will pull you forward and lift your back tires in the air it will walk right out might take a few times shortening of the chain but no digging involved

  2. #23X82016-12-19 12:55
  3. #3ol'stonebreaker2016-12-19 13:18

    Won't the 4x4 forklift lift the skid steer via a chain and carry it back to good ground? If not see if it lift will one side enough to slip some old chainlink fence under the tires and repeat with the other side As for chains, most skid steers don't have sufficient space between the tires and chain case to accommodate chains. maybe yours does. skid steers are like front end loaders in that they can be a little helpless on snow. Mike

  4. #4kshansen2016-12-19 14:30

    I'm thinking the twisting action of the steering of a skid-steer would force the chains off the tires. Especially if you made a hard turn on dry pavement. Trick with skid steers is to keep moving forward with bucket down! Pushed a lot of snow with a 1845C at the quarry. Lucky it was mostly on fairly level ground. Biggest problem is skidsteers do not have much ground clearance and the bottoms are smooth and flat. Does not take much snow under them to have the wheels not touching anything solid. As for FELs they too can be a pain in the snow. Last winter I worked at the quarry I managed to get a Komatsu WA600 9 yd. machine stuck on more or less level ground down in the pit. That white stuff can be deceiving as to how deep it is in a drift, especially when you are sitting up that high! It took me about 1/2 hour to work my way free between rocking back and forth and using the bucket in full dump with cutting edge on ground then rolling back at the same time trying to move in reverse. And if you want something that is even worse in the snow try moving a 35 ton haul truck with the dump body off on a smooth and flat plowed but snow packed parking area! My old Yamaha 650 with a sidecar with a knobby tire could out pull that Cat 769C!

  5. #5Jeepwalker2016-12-19 14:51

    How good is the tire tread on the current tires? My tires look similar in tread-design to yours but mine are pretty new with deep tread and pretty crisp edges still. If I get into the deep stuff it'll just chew it's way to something it can grip on, then walk right out. Never gotten stuck yet. But new tires aren't great on turf, they churn everything up, so it might not hurt to have a set of aggressive meats for snow, and partly worn down tires for dirt and turf. I wish I did. Guys that plow on asphalt or concrete seem to get better traction from a more snow tread, or even a narrow truck tire, so around here you see guys running those kind of tires on skids doing large lots, sidewalks and so on, but I don't think they'd be all that great in a country drive, but I could be wrong. I agree with the others, a plow on a truck is the way to go (for me anyway) then use the skid for heavy drifts and moving piles. I haven't tried chains. They might just get between the lugs and not do a whole lot unless your tread is pretty worn down ..or might work great if you take it easy on anything but snow. What's a new set of tires run ...$650? I guess ya got to look at the price of chains too.

  6. #6mountainlake2016-12-19 15:47

    . Get chains and put them on the rear, I had to turn the rims around on my 75xt for clearance. Night and day difference between no chains and chains and yes you have to get them on tight. Steve

  7. #7hdm2016-12-19 16:24

    Maybe...not sure...

  8. #8hdm2016-12-19 16:37

    Perfect. I'm getting chains for sure. gonna get tools and supplied in case to tighten fix as well. one set is ok for now... they are not cheap. Which kind of chains did you get?

  9. #9hdm2016-12-19 16:42

    I'm going to go with the rear chains for now and see how that works out. My tires aren't great, but not horrible. I think under load i'd like to reasurance of the chains. The ones i'm looking at are quite tough. believe they'll be the way to go. cheers, Hayes

  10. #10hdm2016-12-19 16:44

    Question, putting the rims turned around, is that something simple ie just flip them and put on opposite side or what not?

  11. #11check2016-12-19 17:19

    I'm no expert on this, but I think chains increase the effective diameter of a tire so putting chains on either the front or back of anything 4x4 could strain drivetrain components in the long run. Around here I see plenty of people using chains on skid steers but they always put them on all four. I plow all my snow with a one ton pickup and an 8' plow, works great and fast. I leave chains on all four tires all winter. Hard to beat. The R4 tires on my skid steer are 50% and useless in snow.

  12. #12DDoug2016-12-19 17:47

    I put chains on the rear of an old bobcat 642, it has the skinny tires (7.50-15) I scared up some old pickup tire chains, pieced them together, and made sure they were wide enough to reach well down around the sides, keep them tight and they don't come off. I also put an old Meyers 6' blade on the quick attach plate and plumbed the swing cylinders too. It's great, and I can stack the snow higher as well. Oh...and to the O.P.....put a rat tail on that skidsteer, your gonna need it the next time you get stuck....

  13. #13DDoug2016-12-19 17:55

    It's a SKID steer, it's made to take the loads of skidding a stopped tire, when the other is powered.

  14. #14mountainlake2016-12-19 18:15

    Not to worry about stress on the drive train with chains, more give that tires on a solid surface.. Turning the rims around on my 75xt was no problem as the rims are flat and the holes aren't beveled. I bought my chains from the local Bobcat dealer, $160 about 8 years ago in the USA. Steve

  15. #15Delmer2016-12-19 18:15

    Yes, don't take it out on the highway like that, you'll stress the drive chain. If you only use it in the snow, the drivechain will never know the difference.

  16. #16deck602016-12-19 18:43

    well after reading everything I had chains and they are ok I guess for what they are what it boils down to what you like I had chains and on a 773 turbo they will spin them off I finally bought a set of tracks mine are like this several years ago and you wont believe how well they work the company I bought them from is no longer around I did find these http://www.goldenbellinc.com/web1081.htm

  17. #17rmllarue912016-12-19 20:19

    We run chains on the back of our ls 180 if the grounds frozen it goes great helps in the mud but will go south at faster than normal rate haha doesn't stress drive chains when fronts are bald and there's no concrete or asphalt anyway.

  18. #18Ronsii2016-12-19 20:42

    I have put double sets of chains on my bobcat 743 all four wheels, worked great in the snow!!! unless you bust through a layer of ice then you have to work the bucket to get it back on top. Another thing to consider is put a fresh layer of gloss paint in the bucket otherwise you will always have a bucket of snow even after you dump, some will still stick in the corners with the new paint but at least it actually dumps out when you want.

  19. #19ironjunkie2016-12-19 21:19

    Chain up all 4! Not sayin that will get you out, it might, but makes all the difference in the world!

  20. #20fast_st2016-12-19 22:06

    Skids get high centered very easy! don't let snow get under you, it doesn't take much, right there, push the bucket down, rock it back, use the D1 to clear under the belly and while its up, slap some truck chains on the front, and another set on the rear. We ran 4 wheel chains after flipping the tires, right-left and left-right to gain 2 inches of offset, wheels are dual pattern usually.

  21. #21td25c2016-12-19 22:33

    You better believe it brother ! :thumbsup In snow & ice tire chains getter done . HeavyEquipmentForums

  22. #22Steve Frazier2016-12-19 23:53

    I got chains for my Cat 248 at tirechains.com http://www.tirechain.com/Skid-Steer-Tire-Chains.htm I got 2 link ladder type and it gives a somewhat decent ride. I put them on the rears with the intent of getting another set for the front someday. Made a huge difference in traction. When I wore out the original Chevron style tires I replaced them with Solideal SKZ Hauler which has a tread that resembles a rear truck tire. http://www.tiresdirect.net/Webpage.aspx?WebpageId=106&CategoryId=920 These are much better in snow than the originals. Slightly less useful in gooey mud as the tread can fill with dirt.

  23. #23DDoug2016-12-20 20:26

    I'm cheap (and I forget to apply it in the fall) so I have taken a hot stick to melt off the snow, then swab with crude oil. The Pennsylvania crude is loaded with paraffin.

  24. #24hdm2016-12-21 11:09

    *** my guy said don't put these on the 1845, driveline won't be very happy... need more power scotty!! *** but i like the concept a lot.

  25. #25hdm2016-12-21 11:32

    Interesting idear i like it. i have a paint brush/can just for lubing my forklift chains.

  26. #26DoyleX2016-12-21 13:37

    You can put on chains and deal with all that comes with it or... 255/75/22.5 grippers (like the solideal tread) will almost stall out the engine. Raises your ground clearance, wheel speed and traction coefficient.

  27. #27hdm2016-12-21 17:51

    I'm debating between two choices now. 1 is for light truck (7mm chain) that fits (12x16.5) http://www.canadianchains.ca/Canadian-Spec-V-Bar--Light-Truck_p_14.html (268 + tax, includes shipping). The other is for super heavy duty (8mm chain) http://www.canadianchains.ca/Double-Duty-Square-Link--Skid-Steer_p_36.html (487.00 + cdn tax, includes shipping). I kinda think the first option , while 4 link vs 2 link, and lighter duty, will serve me well for my use. I only plow on weekends when i'm at my 'northern property'...so once a week vs being an business. That being said, i don't like wasting my money by being too cheap. NOt sure if the extra 220 dollars for set of super duty chains is worth it..or if it'll be painful if i don't go that route. Thoughts? 4link light truck vs 2link heavy duty. Very much appreciate the feedback so far. Cheers, Hayes

  28. #28old-iron-habit2016-12-21 20:26

    The heavier the chains, the rougher the ride. If the lighter ones have strong enough links I think you are in business.

  29. #29rmllarue912016-12-21 20:34

    Hey hdm if you buy the HD ones you won't think I wish I bought the lighter ones. Them hds look sweet stronger last longer and better traction but Im good at spending other people's money....

  30. #30ironjunkie2016-12-21 20:38

    I've been playing with that idea myself, I have a long 55" wheel base and thought about going even taller. Also have a 2 speed and wonder what the road speed would be but worry about needing to make special attachment (for snow only) with a lower attachment points. What's your opinion?

  31. #31Ronsii2016-12-21 23:08

    I just used a bunch of light truck chains had laying around, ended up tearing a couple of them up after a day or two but like I said I had two chains on each tire and plenty of bungee tighteners.

  32. #32Steve Frazier2016-12-22 00:06

    I don't think you'll be happy with 4 link chains, the ride will be awful rough.

  33. #33DoyleX2016-12-22 07:20

    The giant custom bucket has a higher mounting to get the edge flat. This has worked tremendously well for my unique situation. I wanted traction to slot doze not speed. 2 speed with big tires and you would crash. Would probably go 30mph. Dunno if you would want to push hard in high as your gear ratio is about doubled.

  34. #34tawilson11522016-12-22 10:19

    I bought a set of 4 link heavy duty chains from my Bobcat dealer for my S250 last year. I put them on the rear and liked them enough to get a set for the front. The set on the back doesn't rattle me too bad but I want be in the snow to put the front ones on. I do have severe duty tires and was thinking the chain laying in the deep tread took some of the effect away but just took it for a spin and it looks from my tracks that the chain pops out and is biting in on every cross link. Definitely gives more traction. I would be afraid of tearing up lighter duty chains.

  35. #35DirtyHoe2016-12-22 10:33

    I'm looking into this style because they are at least half the price of the name brands. What are the pros and cons of this style? I'm in Oregon so mostly wet and muddy, with a lot of vegetation. I would be on a hard surface less them 5% of the time. I have 4 acres to clear and my machine if for personal use. Steve

  36. #36deck602016-12-22 12:00

    I bought mine in 2010 that winter we got a bunch of ice and after sliding through fences feeding horses I bought these tracks. when they arrived I thought boy did get taken but after 10 minutes of operation i had a total different feeling towards them you can actually pop the front end up and balance it on the ice you wouldn't think they would but they are really aw-sum a couple of things they are rough riding not as smooth but I really don't care about that because of what they will do they will conform to the tire so you will have to tighten them after about 10hrs of operation I have used them on several different tires no adverse wear they might actually protect them from gravel right now I am running solid tires so in the winter they are a must you will be able to go places and do things that you couldn't do before would I buy them again ??? yes in a heart beat

  37. #37hdm2016-12-28 11:54

    Well...used forklift and came out easy... attached to mast forms and gave bit of angle for pulling out. Ordered the 2 link chains... look forward to their arrival. Hopefully during week next week. We are getting g more snow than usual. Figure with chains ill be in good shape. Also bought battery tender and a Wi-Fi outlet for remote co troll of my block heater. Ready to go when I get up here. Thanks to all for advice and support.

  38. #38wrwtexan2016-12-28 19:41

    Regarding the econotracks pictured, I have a set for my LS 180. I purchased them from Eel River Steel Works. Look up Eel Tracks. I have 14x17.5 tires so mine were a little more pricey at $1,200, but they have been a decent alternative to an expensive set of Grouser or McLarren for what I use them. Tightening can be a problem as they are merely a loop of chain but they need to be tight otherwise in a sharp backing turn, they have a tendency to crawl off. Buy the nifty extra install tool they offer... I have nearly new tires on mine and in mud, the tracks slipped badly until I added a rebar on the inside of some of the pads. They aren't for heavy pulling, more for flotation. They do have a tendency to eat sidewalls a bit. I went to these tracks after some heavy military surplus deuce chains my dad had come up with. I ran them on all four and really helped with traction but I could set her on her belly in no time.

  39. #39cdm1232017-01-04 16:08

    Is this with stock rimes?

  40. #40hdm2017-01-04 16:41

    Chains have arrived today...and i'm going up north Tomorrow...should be -10 C on Friday...(we'll dip to -25C this weekend ) and lots of snow. So get to install these things Friday and test them out. From what i gather i'll be lucky to drive in this week again... it's a snowy winter. Pictures and thoughts on the chains when i get them on and try them out cheers!

  41. #41DoyleX2017-01-04 18:10

    How would you get 255x75x22.5 tires on 10 x 16.5 stock rims that hold 55psi of air???

  42. #42fast_st2017-01-04 18:15

    About 51 rolls of duct tape!

  43. #433X82017-01-04 18:27
  44. #44hdm2017-01-09 11:44

    The chains are awesome. QCC makes teh chains model 1502-2 (2link). By way of my pictures i do need to fix one of the chains on a bit better, but i know what's wrong and shouldn't be too tough a fix to do. i'll simply take off what i have, jack it up, and fix it. You should be able to tell by the bungee alignment which one i smessed up lol Otherwise, they bit amazing, i was crawling up snowpiles with them (fearful of going back upside down lol). Was able to really bite into my laneway without any motion..just steady traction, and confidence to be able to spin 90degrees and dump my bucket when i needed to... Also, when i use bucket to get unstuck, the chains bite quickly to pull me out at same time. I'm impressed... i have to go back up tomorrow to clear teh snow as we're getting ~25cm of snow and ice and don't enjoy walking in on weekends. (any excuse to visit the property and i'm there)

  45. #45fast_st2017-01-10 05:38

    Looking better than stuck in the snowbank!! The farm had chains on all four wheels, mostly cause there was two sets just hanging unused in the barn so tossed them on for fun.

  46. #46hdm2017-01-18 08:43

    Just wanted to post that bought from CanadianChains.com ...i broke one of the quick links (used to hook inside of chain). I wrote to them to see how to get spare parts.. they shipped me two quick links and two of the outside tensioner links..which was a pleasant surprise. very happy to have dealt with them.

  47. #47fast_st2017-01-18 12:53

    the hook I usually just make with a cutoff wheel and an extra chain link, cheating I know. Darned nice of them to send you the parts!

  48. #48hdm2017-01-18 13:16

    I'm so new to this...but yeah..makes sense to just make your own links, i have spare links now lol (from cutting my chains to shorten a bit). They also gave two extra binders..which could be quite useful. Going in a bin for now

  49. #49cdm1232017-01-18 22:15

    Didn't see any specs on the tire size ,but thanks for the helpful reply to legit question, I won't ask where to get rims thanks.:thumbsup