Just wondering what would be a fair price to install two tires on a Payloader? I just had it done on my Trojan 2000 and am not overly impressed with the bill. I supplied the 20.5R25 tires (military surplus take-offs from ebay) so I understand they want to make some money at it.... but still... Service Call (under 10 mins from their shop) $55 Labour Mount/Dismount 2.5 tires (one tire had a leak and had to come back off for a patch) $150 2x$15 O Ring $30 2x$35 Descaling Rim (didn't spend 3 mins each with wire wheel) $70 Boot Patch $29 1/2 pail of tire lube $30 (its all over my driveway cuz they used so much, could have easily been collected and reused) HST (tax) $47.32 =total $411.32 On top of that they wanted to charge me for tire disposal. We have free disposal in Ontario under the Tire Stewardship Program where all tires are collected for recycling--they get paid for them. When I told the manager I knew about that and had read the brochure which said to drop them off free at any registered tire dealer he told me not to worry about the disposal then. (double dipping?) I didn't feel they were worth recapping as they were pretty beat (but they were michelin radials so who knows?) Am I just being cheap thinking this way? I mean, I paid it... but I had budgeted about $500 to change all four (and thought that was a generous amount) so this kinda ate it all. My arse kinda hurts, they could have at least used some tire lube (but probably would have charged me another half bucket!) The whole job took about 2 1/4 hours. What do you guys pay?
Just for interest....
Don't know the exchange rate right now between Canada and the US but down here they generally charge by the hour and with a boom truck. Generally it's about $100 for a dismount and mount plus the travel time if you deal with them all the time. I'm thinking the next time if it were me I would shop pretty hard the next time you need work.
Exchange rate is very close, last I checked the Cdn dollar was worth a few cents more. These guys are from our local shop. Next closest one is the next city over. This didn't originally start out as a tire replacement day (or I would have taken the time to call and check prices etc). It was a service call to shove a bead back on as the tire had leaked nearly flat sitting since winter, and I tried to move it closer to the air hose and it popped off.... he couldn't keep a seal, it started leaking at the bead once aired up, dunno if he overinflated it or what but it was fine til he tried to take it up to 75psi (from the 45 it was at), then it wouldn't hold anything. So it turned into a dismount... then it didn't make sense to put the old leaking bald tire back on! I had already purchased the military take-offs so we opted to swap em. Oh well. I need the machine and its a biz write off....
I run atire shop and that sounds fair to me. Gotta run that much lube to get the beads to catch and seal. boot for 30 dollars is actually cheap must not have been very large. 55 bucks for trip is cheap everyone has a flat rate to just leave the yard. Your saying they took three tires off and mounted 3 for 50 dollars each. one old one, the second old one, and the new one that was assembled only to find a leak in it and taken of again to repair. that is 50 dollars each? if that is the case you got away VERY.. cheap I charge minimum 40 bucks to change a dry tire on my tire changer (earthmover) Wet tractor tires are minimum 100 in my yard. the only think that appears high is the rust removal.
I would agree with toomanymachines, most of the prices sound reasonable except for the rust removal. If it was actually 3 mins on each rim, I would have charged you about $5 for each rim... Nice pic btw ;D
sounds like a fair price to me.
You need to deal with a tire company that is equipped to service OTR tires.This is a job that would have taken me (in any of the boom trucks I operated-stick or tire-hand) between 30 and 45 minutes start to finish(as a comparison,I'd say that I could do it with the set-up they're using in about an hour or so-solo).Most companies that do OTR service charge an hourly,portal to portal,rate.I've been out of the industry for a few years,but the rate at my last employer when I left was $62.50(2 hour minimum).So,I could have driven for two hours,did the service and you would've been billed 5 [email protected] =$312.50,plus $7.00 each for an O-ring.A serviceman set up to do OTR tires won't need to charge you for a waste of lube,either.These guys obviously are not properly equipped or experienced to do this job.Sure,they got it done,but two guys to change two tires and took two plus hours?Please.I'm amazed that they had o-rings.They are obviously set up to do truck tires.Do yourself a favor and get the right man for the job next time.
Sound like a fare price for tire installation.