Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Tire load range question

Keith Merrell ยท 2023-10-23 19:22

I have a tri axle dump truck. I need to replace 4 tires on the front axle on the tandem. I am looking at these Americus OS3000 drive tires. They are 14 ply, load range G. Is that suitable for dump truck work? I gross 30 tons with this truck typically. I can get them for a fair price at a dealer I have done business with in the past. The rear axle is 4 closed shoulder tires, does it matter if I have 4 open shoulders on the front axle but 4 closed shoulder on the rear? I don't do many miles with this truck, mostly its getting into sketchy sites other guys won't haul into or pulling equipment around.

Replies7
  1. #1Truck Shop2023-10-23 19:40

    Open or closed really isn't the issue-but 14 ply is. In your limited use it may not be a problem though.

  2. #2Keith Merrell2023-10-23 19:46

    I do about 10k miles per year. I take it you wouldn't use 14 ply OTR but are saying it may be ok if I'm not putting the miles on it?

  3. #3Truck Shop2023-10-23 19:48

    It's more the sidewall flex off road/and rock cuts and rock drilling the tire will be subjected too.

  4. #4Keith Merrell2023-10-23 19:49

    Ok.

  5. #5Junkyard2023-10-23 20:07

    Can your tire guy get some good 16 ply take offs?

  6. #6Keith Merrell2023-10-23 20:16

    That is what I asked him for originally... he doesn't have any used tires. He can get me some General 16 plys, but they are $480 vs the 14 ply is $315. Is it worth the extra money?

  7. #71693TA2023-10-23 20:41

    In end dump work you want the 16ply rated tires. They will wear much longer than 14ply as a single instance.