Should the total of the tires max load ratings match the G.V.W. of a truck?
I think it should be my truck is 58,000 GVW without the tag axle and the 10 tires are rated I beleive at 6300 lbs a piece which would give me about 5,000 lbs in reserve capacity
They should match or exceed. More important is that they match or exceed the ratings of the individual axles they are on.
Thanks, It's what I thought but just wanted to be sure. It only makes sense I guess.
they should match or exceed, on the other hand, if you have put on tires with a LOWER rating than the GVWR, and you exceed the total weight rating for any particular tire on a given axle, you could be cited for being overweight. if that makes any sense..
Ya kinda does...thanks.
yeah match or exceed
Speaking of the over load tickets, here in OH we are weighed on a slab scale at the plant. However the DOT and other who weigh trucks use the computer pads and weigh by axle! Ever hear of being under gross, but over on an axle? I have, and had to pay! Also backed into the apron of a no truck street, and had a cop cite me because the center of my rear drive was actually on the street!
The only overweight ticket I got was in my crane. The whole truck was something like 5,000 under gross for my length, but my tridem was 13,000 overweight. When the cop told me that I laughed at him. He asked me what was so funny, I told him that the tank I was carrying only weighed in at 11,000! That's the day that we figured out that the truck came from the factory with the wrong spacing on the rears and it was overweight empty on the interstate. ointhead So I got to travel the backroads and non interstate highways quite a lot more.