Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Tire options: foam, slime, or neither

Popntx · 2020-08-11 13:48

I'm in the market for a used skid steer and am trying to learn as much as possible before taking the dive. I will be using it to push brush and remove cedar bushes at my place in the Texas hill country with a mix of rocky soil, uneven terrain but nothing too steep. Also there is quite a bit of mesquite which is of concern. A CAT rep I talked to said for sure to get tires filled with foam. Another independent dealer said not to do that because it adds a lot of weight which will add to wear and tear on the machine. I mentioned that to the CAT rep and he agreed but said it would be more of a concern if the machine was being used full time, but since I will not be putting a lot of hours on it, it's less of a concern. Another friend put slime in his tires and has had no issues with flats, so I suppose that's another option. Or, I can just go with neither and hope for no flats. So, I'd appreciate any advice or thoughts on this. Thanks.

Replies13
  1. #1Vetech632020-08-11 14:09

    You forgot the TRACKS option.

  2. #2seville0092020-08-11 14:15

    If you go with tires (vs tracks), I’d go with foam. They don’t add a huge amount of weight, and the weight that is added helps with stability. I put foam in my ** 1540 tractor tires; never even really noticed the feeling of additional weight.

  3. #3Rob Gunn2020-08-11 14:58

    I would vote for the Foam option. I had it on my Bobcat S175 and had no issue. But it wasn't cheap. I did have a lawn tractor years ago that a previous owner used the slime and it ate the rim to the point of having to replace it. I guess if you want to try the slime I would at least contain it in a tube?

  4. #4Nige2020-08-16 12:14

    Or something like Flexport tyres............. https://caterpillar.scene7.com/is/content/Caterpillar/C10263156 Changing back to conventional air-filled tyes would be a doddle. Downside - not cheap.

  5. #5RollOver Pete2020-08-16 15:20

    I've used slime in skid steer, backhoe and loader tires for years . It has virtually illuminated flats caused from nails, screws and other small objects. You can buy it thru amazon for about $25.00 per gallon.

  6. #6Delmer2020-08-16 19:51

    I don't know mesquite at all. Cedar and rocks don't concern me that much. If cost is an issue, pick up a spare set of wheels and tires, or even a couple rims and put new or used tires on them. If you pop a front you don't even need a jack to change them

  7. #7CM19952020-08-16 20:43

    The downside to foam filled is rough ride, some extra weight but not enough to worry about and the most important aspect it can rip the lugs off the tire in heavy rock conditions - yeah been there done that. The foam offers little flexibility to the tire and the nature of a "skid" steer is to skid and counter rotate while turning. If your tires can't flex much and you're operating in a heavy rock condition you can destroy a set of tires quickly, I've seen me do it.

  8. #8KSSS2020-08-16 23:09

    I would consider going to a tire like the Galaxy Hulk. Super heavy duty. They wont stop you from getting a flat, but the chances are a lot less, especially if it is due to the terrain your in and not nails and so forth. These have super deep tread, really thick carcass, and are made for difficult job sites. Down side is they dont grip in mud as well as a convetional ssl tire design, but if your in mostly dry conditions, pretty hard to beat this tire. I have been running these for the last ten years. I tried the solid Mclaren tires, which as CM1995 speaks to, they dont give and they really suck in dirt. The problem with foam is, once the tire is wore out you start over again.

  9. #9JBrady2020-08-17 14:44

    Having some experience with mesquite; foam, slime, over-tire-tracks, or solid tires are really your only options. Basically anything except standard tubeless skid steer tires. For those on here that have not had the pleasure of working with mesquite trees, they are about the nastiest tree out there and very tough on tires. The only thing that is worse to work with is prickly pear cactus which is also native in that part of the country. It is beautiful country though.

  10. #10mowingman2020-08-17 18:24

    Foam is expensive, gets heavy, and will crush down eventually. I have several years experience with Mesquite thorns and Honey Locust thorns. Best route to go is a tracked machine. If tires are your only option, use about two gallons of a slime type sealer in each tire. Last year I mowed 125 acres of Mesquite, all about 7-8 foot tall. Never had a flat on the tractor at all. Before starting, the ranch foreman put a 5 gal bucket of some type of "Slime" sealer in each tire on the tractor. Sometimes the tires were just big round green rollers. But, no flats, and the tractor still rode good on the rough ground.

  11. #11Joe Dickey2020-09-04 03:17

    Is there really a difference between slime for tubeless an tubes? Ok my original tires on my 1998 bobcat 863 still have 1/3 tread left. It had Loggering tracks on it it's whole life of 1800 hrs. However the left front tire is leaking through the side wall. I have to put air in once a month in the summer and every 3 days in the winter. I believe the directions say slime won't stop side wall leaks. I don't use it much and sometimes sits for a month or two. Your thoughts please. I don't want to put a tube as the repair cost at the tire shop.

  12. #12mitch5042020-09-04 11:15

    Slime will stop sidewall leaks, if it gets to them.

  13. #13SLI780282020-09-09 22:30

    I have run BC skid steer in the Texas Hill Country for 25 years. I foam fill my tires with great success, never a flat, run tires till the tread and cord is worn away exposing the foam. Have even run some till the machine "limps" from a cunk of foam being wear off. The only draw back in my opinion is the ride is rougher. I do use bobcat over the tire tracks when shearing cedar or in rocky terrain. Just replaced a set of tires on my S 650 at 2300 hours on the tires. These were bobcat sever duty tires.