I know there are tons of tire discussions here about what to buy but I'm not asking that...I'll read those later - thank you to all those posters. Admittedly I know nothing about BHoe tires --- I had a front tire separate from the rim today. Normally I would raise the tire, put a ratchet strap around it and try to re-seat the bead, which is what I did. I found that the inner-tube had lost air, causing the tire bead to separate from the rim. I must have ran over something to rip the air nozzle off the inner tube cuz it ain't there no mo. I didn't know you could use or should use inner tubes in construction grade tires, nut I guess it's a cheap quick fix....sucks to be a first time buyer and not know these things. Now it appears that I would be able to remove the one that's there and replace it with another one...is that possible? Obviously, I would like to purchase new tires and have then installed, but right now is not a good time to do that. Thanks for any advice. R
New tube is fine.
I have the original 1999 tires on my machine. I only use the machine on my property, and not to make a living. The sidewalls of the tires are cracked from the age. one was going flat weekly due to leaks thru the cracks. I put a tube in it, and have never looked back. I will do the same if the other starts leaking as well. I stress that I do not rely on this machine to pay bills or I would put new tires on it.
A lot of times what happens is the tire and tube spin on the wheel sucking the valve stem in and or ripping it off either way its a tear down I used to glue a lot of valve stems on tubes people probably don't mess with that anymore Check your tire carefully on the inside it probably has a puncture that let the air out before you lost the valve stem To tube or not tube can be a matter of personal preference or a result of bent beat up wheels or old cracked tires
You need to remove the tire and carefully look inside it for anything protruding in it from the outside. Thorns are real nasty to find if it has one in it. Quite often there might be more than one. I take a balled up rag and wipe the inside, it usually will snag whatever is stuck in the tire. You don't need to seat the bead with a strap when there is tube in it. Lube the beads with soap so that they will easily pop onto the rim properly.
The tube I purchased was a TR218 valve tube. Many styles exist in the same size. The TR218 has a nut to keep the valve in the hole.
Thanks for all the replies. I didn't think about removing the tire, but I guess that's a must do. All foru of the tires are for sh#t, but they are not in the budget at this time. So you just do what you can with what you got. Watched vid from the Tire Doctor on the Ytube...looks do-able. Not easy as it looks I am sure, but if he can do it, so can I .
A link to where we discussed my front tire. HeavyEquipmentForums
I put new steers on my hoe and had them tubed from the beginning. Tubes were $15/per from local tire guy who did install, $30 seemed like good insurance for 50 year old rims.
Great info...Thank you.
Got after it a bit today, wasn't as bad as I thought, but still... The rim sucks. inside tire looks okay. I have located a tube and a tire. Tire price is around 150 to 600, plus delivery add another 100. Tube is about 55 so I think it's okay. Still not sure about just doing a tube or a new tire? Or both?\
Those rusty rims will need a tube in the tire. They aren't good candidates for tubeless. IMHO Be careful in any vendors description of how many plys their tire has. Quite often it will say ply rating. Ply rating is not the same as how many plys the tire actually has. Strangely it is normal to find tires with more plys cheaper than one with a lower number of plys. The tire looks ok in the photo nice tread on it yet. Remember to remount it the way it came off. You don't wanna put it back on the tractor only to see the tread backwards.
well, make sure to assess the damage. If the tire has separated from the rim and the inner tube is punctured, then you have 2 issues to address. If the inner tube is punctured, replace it.though It's not uncommon for construction-grade tires to use inner tubes, especially if they're tube-type tires. buy a new inner tube that matches the size of your tire.
if you dont see any tire damage and got no pokys on the inside put the tube in and save up until you can get both fronts together I'm tight so if it was my personal machine I would patch a stem on like one of these https://a.co/d/cyLciID check that tube very carefully for leaks patch those if found and they can lead to where to look in the tire be super carefull putting it back together make sure no folds or pinches in the tube get your valve stem though hole and keep it there with a vice grip on the rubber part needle nose type preferred and dont let your tire tools hit the tube and rip it it can be a frustrating experience been done hundreds of them and still can have issues
You're going to replace that tire ? Why ? Joe H
When seating the tire with the new tube, remove the valve core and inflate/deflate a couple of times to make sure there are no wrinkles or pinches. Then put the core back in and fill to spec.
Wire wheel the bead area of the wheel. This will make it smoother so the bead will set. If the tire bead has that rust, wire wheel it too...but be careful on the tire! A bit of soap will help them to go on, and yes, what Tony said above too.
I’ve run worse looking tires than that. Some newer tubeless tires are manufactured too rough on the inside and will eat tubes and there is not enough rubber over the cords to get an inside patch to stick. When you wire wheel the rim, use a good rust paint to cover the area. I only use sliptivity on the beads and sprinkle talcum powder around the inside of the tire before installing. Usually more important on new tires and tubes than used ones. This helps the tube align itself inside the tire during the inflating process to help prevent wrinkles. I use baby powder instead of the actual ‘tire talc’. It makes your tire smell nicer too
A radial tube helps with this a bit. I used a radial tube in mine. Talc is a great idea too!
found a tube on Ebay: 14-17.5 14R17.5 Skid Steer Industrial Tire Inner Tube Heavy Duty Tr-218 Valve. It'll be here on Monday, but I'll be in the UP around the Saulte Ste Marie. I'll be cleaning up the rim -- especially the beads. They look awful. I'll weld a patch on the outside of the hole and make sure there are no pokeys on the inside. Thanks everyone for your advice. R
While your welding on the rim, do what I should have done and weld on some valve stem guards like my Kubota, so you don’t have to worry about ripping valve stems off, like I tend to do when operating in the woods.
Hate ask but ...not sure what that would look like...I'll google. Ahhhh...got it. I'll figure something out ...film at 11
Good idea!
Went to take picture and you can see why they work. When I was clearing the lot fir my house, I broke off three valve stems, cleaning up all the slash piles.
You could weld a 1/4 inch nut on each side of the loop Then make a circular metal cap with a hole on each side of it so you could bolt it on.
Going out to do the spot welding now...this is really helpful, Thank you.
Great for you but I just put 2 new rear tires on the backhoe and totally forgot to get this done. DUH!
Well okay, that wasn't so bad, but I gots a question....how much psi in the tube? Welded the patch for outside of the rim and smoothed it out with the grinder. Went around the wheel beads with the grinder and wire wheel. Then POR'd the rim around the edges where the rust was. Cleaned the inside of the tire. Used a fiber-based wheel to clean the tire beads. Soaped the beads. Put one side on. Inserted the tube with the valve out. The talc. powder was great. Slid the valve into position and inflated and deflated a couple of times. Then very carefully slid the other bead on. Inflated the tube a couple of more times and listened for any leaks. Now I just need to put the valve back in, inflate it and check for pressure in the morning. Oh almost forgot...I did tac on two 1/4-inch bolts for the valve stem guard. I need to find a heavy enough piece of metal to make the guard. All I have is car sheet metal. Thank you all again for all the great info. I'll try to post some pics later.
The same psi that it sez on the tire. Old lawn mower blades are quite useful for all kinds of projects.
I follow my operating manual.
I think I set mine at ~38psi.
Hey Swetz...yeah I looked up that page too after I measured the left front tire. I ended up at 36. So far so good -- it seems to be holding.