Deere 310L . Any recommendations on tires? The local tire guy asked about how many plys. I had no idea how to answer. What brands should I look for, and what works well in snow / ice, and mucky barn yard conditions? I'm probably going to do chains for winter on pavement. Thanks
Welcome to HEF, emmett! The number of plys is molded on the side of your tires. You probably should look in the JD parts book for the correct size and plys your 310l came with in case a previous owner downsized them. A serial number is need to determine what it had when it was new. If the machine has enough fender clearance you can put bigger than OEM's on it. Sometimes for some strange reason a tire with more plys will be cheaper than one with fewer. Price and brands play a major role in your options.
"If" you don't plan on doing any construction work ( IE personal use ) then I would go with Turf tires if you can get them for your machine. There great on snow, ice etc especially with chains. Just my opinion.
The guy who brought his over to work in my area had turf tires, and they had no traction in the mud.
What size and how many plies does it have now ? Post the tractor serial number and we can look up the OEM size. 19.5L-24 is most likely the size of the rear. There are 5 different parts book in the progression of the manufacture's serial numbers.
I just bought a rear tire for my 555e. It cost about $525 installed on the rim. I had to take off/put it back on myself.
1T0310LXAGF296572
Well, maybe you should have asked him what ply etc he was using.
How tough was it to handle a back tire and rim? Did you have to use a lift of some sort?
As long as you can get the lugs off (I had to use my neighbors 3/4” Milwaukee impact) it’s fairly simple. Use the outriggers to lift off the ground, put a strap around the tire and use the backhoe boom to swing it around and on a trailer. To reinstall do everything in reverse. It took me about 30 minutes to get it off and the same to put back on. Mind you I did this all by myself and two people would make it a lot easier as you could have them control the boom.
I think Turf tires are good in snow and ice with chains. I think better then ag tires but I don't know about around the barn.
Can you get aggricultural tires for a back hoe? Here, for farm tractors, you can get turf, agg, and industrial. I think industrial tires have heavier material and more ply than the agg tires. Probably a lot cheaper, especially if you're just around the farm.
Probably a 19.5 x 24 tire. On a backhoe I would use a 12Ply rated tire. You can get AG-like tires which in my opinion are better than the Industrial tread design. Of course they make a mess in soft soils but have much more pull than IND tires. Some on here may disagree, but I have ran both and in my opinion they are not even close. Too much top tread surface area in IND style but if you run on roads or hard surfaces they will outwear the AG style. I have a set of ACCURET which are a modified R4/AG tread . Love them