I wound up getting four new tires, tubes, and flaps from Les Schwab for this money pit. So far three of the tires have blown out due to the tube bulging out through the valve stem slot in the wheel. I wasn't able to see if there was anything in the old wheel to prevent this. I proposed making a small stainless steel sheet metal tab with a hole to fit over the valve stem to extend to the end of the slot. Schwab just installed a stem extension (the Schrader valve now is outside the wheel) and arrests the tube coming through the slot. The sad part is I haven't even used the crane yet Thoughts?
They make tubes with a flat plate in them , so they don't bulge out the flap in the valve stem slot. They don't stock them everywhere, if your tire man didn't know the rim style, he probably won't have them on the truck. You would have to pay for dismount and remount to swap tubes, so it wouldn't be cheap to swap. I guess I should say - they used to make such things, not as much tube type tires as there used to be.
Was a tube protector used at all ? They are quite thick in the center and taper up the sides.
He said new flap.
I'd like to learn more about those tubes with built in plates. I think that's what was in the original tires and Schwab just tossed them not knowing what they were.
What size are your tires/ rims?
You're looking for a tube with a TR-J1175C stem. Tube will be by tire size. Robot or human?
The new tires are 14.5 R 15 X MINE D2
Yeah, I have no idea what tube they put in, but this was their fix (extension is very tight against the rim. Wonder how long it will last?
If you can take the extension off and still get a long neck gauge and air chuck in there, that would be better.
I can't take the extension off. If I do the tube will bulge up through the slot and blow out. The extension is holding the tube down. Crappy fix if you ask me.
Flap should be between the tube and the rim, and the flap are usually thicker at the valve stem area. I can't see that extension being the only thing holding it down, the extension is just a brass hollow tube, and they crack really easily.
I guess we shall see.
The extension won't prevent the tube from getting damaged or exploding. You need something inside the rim to keep the tube in. I'd even make a metal or thicker plastic piece and use silicon to hold it in place if I couldn't get a special tube. Maybe there is thicker rubber type patch that could be used?
This is what I told Schwab I would make but they were in a hurry so they took my metal with them and said they would do it. But they didn't and did the extension instead (also kept my coupon metal too).
The people at Schwab are IDIOTS! Doesn't matter if they were in a hurry. I'm sure you were paying them to mount the tire/tube. If it takes another 5 or 10 minutes so what, do it right. The tube is comprised just squeezing into the slot. A valve extension won't do squat to prevent it rupturing and like Crane Op said the extension can crack easily. I'd go back and talk to the manager and tell him you want it done properly with a new tube. Anybody with half a brain would realize the tube is compromised and an extension won't protect it from failure. Sounds a little like the idiot putting tubes in my skid steer tires. Bead wasn't seating because he didn't use enough lube so put in over 90 PSI trying to seat the beads. I had to tell him to stop or he probably would have put 120 or more PSI in causing an explosion! This was a major tire shop too. A tire or tube explosion can be very dangerous.