Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Tire tumor

Jeff D. ยท 2006-08-19 20:10

While doing a walk around on my trailer today I noticed a unusual "growth" growing from the sidewall of a tire.

Replies19
  1. #1T Red2006-08-19 20:20

    Terminal cancer. I don't think i've ever seen that before. Tim

  2. #2Orchard Ex2006-08-19 20:28

    You are supposed to park the other direction so you can get right in and don't have to walk around...:bouncegri

  3. #3Ford LT-90002006-08-19 20:48

    Time to replace the tire also if you are going to take the wheel off yourself take the valve stem out and let the air out of the tire. Just make sure you right NFG on the tire. I have had light truck tires do that and I have seen truck tires do that aswell but not that bad. Usually what causes that is if the tire has hit a curb too hard and one othe belts has let go.

  4. #4Jeff D.2006-08-19 21:07

    That's exactly what happened too. You see the dirt on the side wall, well they recently put the new curbs in at a store I deliver, and they have their equipment, containers, etc. parked all around the dock, in the way. It was a 53' loaded heavy, and I had to use every inch of space to get the trailer in the dock.:spaz

  5. #5Orchard Ex2006-08-19 21:27

    Yeah, just admit it, they put grade stakes in where the loading dock is being expanded and you just HAD to run over them... Wait - wrong thread.... Sorry...

  6. #6Ford LT-90002006-08-19 21:39

    Too bad the tire is ruined it looks like a virgin Michelin that could have been recapped and used on the trailer again. What the scrap yards that do metal recycling have a policy if you ruin a tire in their yard they will buy you a new tire. I know 53's can be heavy and overloaded we usually put 25-30 ton into them when we load seafood.

  7. #7Jeff D.2006-08-19 21:42

    :yup I didn't want too say that though. You're sorry?? I just barely got out of "that" thread alive. Digger was holding me, Squizzy punching me in the belly, and Tyler was biting my ankle. Thank God LittleDenny stepped in!! So now, officially it was a "curb".

  8. #8Jeff D.2006-08-19 21:49

    My problem is I have to slide the tandems all the way up, in order to shorten the trailer wheelbase enough to get in there. They are usually overloaded pretty good at that point.:yup

  9. #9Squizzy246B2006-08-19 21:52

    Yep...OK...so long as you believe it :bouncegri

  10. #10xkvator2006-08-19 23:16

    you mean the tire...or the wheel?

  11. #11Jeff D.2006-08-19 23:28

    Xkvator, that brown stuff on the rim, that'll buff right out!:bouncegri Actually it's a company trailer, I'm lucky it has wheels at all.:yup

  12. #12Ford LT-90002006-08-20 00:17

    Most 53's in B.C. are tridems very some are tandems but mostly tridems. The tridems are really hard on tires you see guys making a tight turn with a fully loaded trailer the tires leaving half the tread on the ground. There are still tandem axle highboys running around with 10.00-20 tube type bias

  13. #13Jeff D.2006-08-20 00:34

    I use to haul paper out of Thunder Bay Ont. and would notice alot more triple axle trailers up there. Lot's of "B" trains too. I've never seen them in the states, and don't know why. Atleast you can back them up, somewhat. The wiggle wagon doubles we have bunch up as soon as you put it in reverse.

  14. #14Ford LT-90002006-08-20 01:23

    Here in B.C. we use super B trains which you probably know triaxle lead tandem axle trail trailer they are truck killers. You can legally gross 140,000lbs with a "B" usually highboys get used alot to carry building materials. You see a "B" loaded up with drywall (gyproc) thats heavy as h*ll.

  15. #15littledenny2006-08-20 01:31

    Jeff D.: Happy to be of service!!!!

  16. #16digger242j2006-08-20 02:03

    I had that happen on a tire, once, a long time ago. (On a truck we used only on site.) If I remember correctly, once the "tumor" burst, it still held air ok.

  17. #17Dwan Hall2006-08-20 13:59

    First time I saw one of those it was on the front wheel of my bike and by the time I relised what it was I was on the ground. The bruse on my arme turned out to be larger then the one on the bike.

  18. #18farmerted442006-08-20 15:00

    STAKE??WHAT STAKE!!!

  19. #19Jeff D.2006-08-20 22:18

    On my way to the tire shop today too get that tire changed the tumor let go. It was like Digger said though, and the tire held air just fine. The seperation was between the sidewall, and the steel/rubber casing. It must have had a very tiny hole/leak through the inner casing. It really seemed odd to see a sidewall blown out and still have the tire hold air.