Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

tires for asphalt

soapstoneguy ยท 2016-04-02 13:50

Hey guys I have a case 40xt that I run on asphalt all the time. What are the best tires for this application and where do you guys recommend I buy them from? They are 10x16.5. I've thought about just capping my old ones with a smooth surface but don't know if they will work or if the cost is the same as new/better tires. Thanks

Replies4
  1. #1crewchief8882016-04-02 15:07

    solid flex is what i'd go with. you are probably looking in the area of $2500 a set. local dealer or commercial tire distributor would be my best guess. shipping costs will kill you... :drinkup

  2. #2BSM7732016-04-02 20:43

    We were clearing debris in New Orleans after Katrina and on the Asphalt 12 hours a day. Did no off-road work so I put a set of bias 12 ply trailer tires on the skidsteers. They worked great and we're half the price. They highway tread tires are prolly not any good off-road though I would think.

  3. #3Delmer2016-04-02 23:04

    That's what I was thinking. Or if your casings aren't too old or wore out, why not recap them? If you can find somebody to do it anymore? Less traction from a highway tire compound isn't a problem, might even be easier on your drive system. Skidsteers are kind of designed to work in slop and muck, I always wondered if hard surfaces and good traction were harder on them.

  4. #4msllc2016-04-04 02:01

    If keeping cost as low as possible is the main goal, I would use cheap truck tires. I've heard of guys using 33" x 16.5" tires. I know that sounds really tall, but it is what size I have heard these cheap penny saving guys use. If the main goal is longevity, then I would suggest new solid rubber tires from bobcat. They may cost around $2,000, but they will last a very long time.