Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Tires size question

Michael D. ยท 2016-02-15 21:07

I have a 1973 International Loadstar 1600 series farm grain truck. It has 9.0-20 all the way around with 6 tires. Dual tires in rear. Can I replace the rear tires with 4 new 10.00-20 tires. And what's the sizing difference? Thank you in advance! Michael

Replies11
  1. #1mitch5042016-02-15 21:48

    And the answer is... Probably. The only time I've seen that not work is a bed that had a crossmember directly above the tires, and just barely clearing the tires on a bump, loaded. A 10.00-20 should be right at 42 inches overall diameter, and 10 inches wide at the widest part. A 9.00-20 should be about 9 inches wide, and I want to say 40 inches O.D., but I seem to have lost the brain cells that knew for sure somewhere, I think the last time I messed with a 9.00-20 was about 1995. Welcome to HEF, glad to see another South Carolinian. What do you do?

  2. #2jprefect2016-02-16 06:15

    If it is 4wd I would say no. I don't know that machine though. It's recommended with 4wd and all wheel drive to keep the same size all the way around

  3. #3hetkind2016-02-16 07:51

    I would be concerned about the gap between the tires, you might need to modify you rim spacing. Howard

  4. #4Mike Van2016-02-16 18:15

    What Howard said - Also you'll be going faster than the speedometer says -

  5. #5Old Doug2016-02-16 19:13

    I have a 1970 like yours and it has 10.00 on it my bigest thing is i cant run dual chains. This is a bad deal i didnt think about this when i got it or i wouldnt have bought it. I dont think it would help to go to 9.00s on it the springs are to close.

  6. #6Twisted2016-02-16 19:39

    I have a 1976 Ford F250 4x4 with 16.9-26 tires on it so I'd probably be the wrong person to ask. I just make stuff fit.

  7. #7Jonas3022016-02-16 19:57

    Do you already have the 20s otherwise it would be a good time to think about switching to tubeless

  8. #8mitch5042016-02-16 23:55

    If you have Budd wheels, the spacing won't be a problem; if you have Daytons, it probably won't, but if it is, just change spacer rings. Doug, I'm going to give you the South Carolina answer on this one, since he is in Charleston, sixty miles further south from me....Chains, huh, oh, ahhh, why would tire size affect how many chains he can put on his load?:beatsme

  9. #9Old Doug2016-02-17 20:10
  10. #10mitch5042016-02-17 23:09

    Hey Doug, I wasn't trying to be a smartass, (because it comes natural, I don't have to try). I was just being funny, I have a 1977 IH that my father bought new, we always thought wouldn't run 10.00-20s because the 9.00s were close to the springs. One day about 1995 I put 10.00s on it and found they were close to the springs. I was wondering the other day, "would chains help in slick clay, oir mud?" I have a set of what I think is truck dual chains in my shop, I guess they came in some scrap. I thought about trying them out. Oh, BTW, I did plow snow here in 1989, and my father said I rode with him doing it in 1973. Our nearest mountains are 220 miles, though.

  11. #11Old Doug2016-02-18 18:54

    Every time i thought about this today i had a good laugh, I got another truck last summer and havent looked around to see if i have any chains for it we havent goten much snow this winter and i havent used this truck much but every time i do i fill a little naked with out them with me.