Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Tires with ott vs tracks

Brandon327 ยท 2012-12-12 11:48

What is better and gets better traction? I will be using one to push litter (aka chicken crap) compost, using a grapple, rotary cutter and what ever else I may need it for on the farm. Probably put 200 to 300 hours a year on it. I like the tracked machines and have heard they get better traction when pushing litter. When looking at used machines in the same features and years the tracked and tires machine cost the same. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Replies9
  1. #1k452012-12-13 05:13

    Tracked machines are more expensive to buy and to operate. If you are seeing used machines at comparable prices, that's probably because the tracked machines are coming close to major maintenance needs. From what I've heard, you are correct, a rubber tracked machine will have somewhat better traction.

  2. #2gwiley2012-12-13 08:45

    I run one wheeled bobcat (743DS) and one wheeled with steel OTT (773G) - the steel OTT is lightyears ahead on traction in the dirt/mud pushing large trees over, grubbing up stumps etc. I have heard so many horror stories of high cost maintenance to the undercarriage on the rubber tracked machines that I prefer to work with the wheeled machines. The only thing I really don't care for about the wheeled machines is the tendency for air filled tires to break a bead under heavy use - usually in an unpleasant and difficult to work in spot. One of my machines runs foam filled tires and I love the fact that I dont have to worry about beads or flats.

  3. #3ironjunkie2012-12-14 17:18

    So this is a real chicken **** question LOL! Not sure about traction in the CS but in the dirt and mud/woods wheeled with OTT's is the way to go. If I were to guess about in the chicken barn, the low PSI of the tracks might take second place to the tires, just a guess. Concerte floor?

  4. #4Brandon3272012-12-14 17:58

    Chicken crap is a loose material, real light per yard. The litter starts out as sawdust. Tires will spin real easy in it and loose traction at least in a truck or tractor sometimes. It I real fine. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

  5. #5powerjoke2012-12-14 22:19

    Dedicated rubber track machine gets my vote anyday in this scenario

  6. #6Brandon3272012-12-15 00:41

    No concrete floor. Pushing litter 500 ft as much as the machine will push at a time. Will be using a high volume bucket. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

  7. #7ironjunkie2012-12-15 21:09

    It might be worth it to rent or borrow each type to see for your self. What are the other chicken house's use?

  8. #8JBGASH2012-12-15 21:16

    I have one of both and the rubber track machine would be my 1st choice by a long run.

  9. #9Brandon3272012-12-15 22:42

    The people that clean the litter out are using a Takeuchi track machine. I have pretty much decided on a track machine. I am trying to decide on what size now.