I have a 2004 TL130 I picked up 6 years ago that has been a workhorse around the house. Last week I went to spread some dirt and fix my gravel driveway and it died just while driving. It was difficult to get started again, but thought perhaps I just deadheaded it, worked it too much. I continued to work, and this happened several more times, once while driving on the high speed side, and others while using bucket controls. I dont have test tools (yet) but just need a starting point from you experienced folks. Filters were changed not that long ago, and hydro tank is full. Just hoping this is not the beginning of main pump failure. TIA
Better check your filters again as you could have gotten some water in it. Disconnect the fuel line after the filter and see how much fuel runs out after 30-60 seconds, not just one gulp. May need to check fuel pressure. Could have Fuel Solenoid dropping out or maybe one of the relays below the seat is dropping out and it dies instantly. May be a good idea to post a picture of side of fuel injection pump. Post your serial number in case it makes a difference. Simon C
Does it have a low coolant sensor in the top radiator hose? Any indicator lights flashing?
Those are notorious for having screens in the fuel lines plug up. Also could be something in tank.
Also, the nipple going into the fuel transfer pump is just pressed in. (Not threaded) It's possible for this to suck air and not leak diesel. It's not likely a fuel issue tho if light is flashing on instrument cluster???
s/n is 21303115 i've ordered new fuel filter and waiting for it to get here. It does sit for a few weeks at a time. i could only hope it's fuel related. i'm stressed that is hydraulic related.
no indicator lights when this happens. It does crank over quite a bit to re start. i don't think i remember any sensor in the top hose.
I'd look at the fuel system first. A clogged filter, weak lift pump, plugged tank vent, or air leak can cause it to die under load and be hard to restart. Since it happens while driving and using the bucket, it sounds more like fuel starvation than a hydraulic pump issue. I'd check fuel flow before worrying about the main pump.
It's been a while since I've worked on these, but it seems like there was a connector on the back door close to the fuel pump. You could plug the two wires together and that would bypass the engine safety shutdown system. Engine is protected by low coolant sensor and low oil pressure switch. Worth a try if wired that way? If that allows the engine to stay running, you will need to figure out which sensor or wiring is the problem and correct it? The early ones had the coolant sensor in the top radiator hose and any air in the cooling system would shut engine down. Remedy was to rotate the sensor to underside of hose. Later ones had the sensor in thermostat housing. Having said all that, I would have to agree that it is likely clogged line or crud in the fuel tank? Microbes grow in diesel and can form a sludge in the tank. The more ethanol the faster they grow and biodiesel is the worst?