Guys, I posted a while ago about getting new tracks. I still haven't pulled the trigger. I'm running on worn out tracks. They are derailing once in a while, one is missing one of the metal links that the sprocket drives against. I am ready to do the deal. Prowler has a wide track option that I just now noticed. They run 1100 something per versus 800 something per for their normal width tracks. The biggest problems I have encountered are 1. throwing the track. 2. spinning tracks on steep terrain. 3. not enough counterweight. The machine can pick up quite a bit more than it has the weight for. How much, if any would the wide tracks help with these problems. When the machine is on the job (a couple times a year) it is doing mostly lift and carry work. When it's at my house, it's land clearing and general dirt moving. I do not put a lot of hours per year on it.
why is your worn track derailing? is the tension adjusted properly? a wider track will give you more flotation. less ground pressure. i'm not sure how that equates to traction. can't you add counterweights?
I assumed it was derailing because of the one missing link. I guessed that the front idler was escaping through that hole in a side slope condition. Not sure if Takeuchi has counterweights I can add. My other option is to upgrade to a bigger machine, but I like how small this one is. I have noticed that most other similar sized machines have wider tracks. Mine has 12" tracks and the aftermarket wide ones are 16" wide.
You may have the same trouble I have with my TL230. I have very worn tracks on it now and while none of the metal inserts are missing they still come off now and then because the tensioner is all the way out and the tracks aren't as tight as they should be.
How do you know when the adjuster is all the way extended? Mine seems like it wants to stop taking grease, but maybe just because the track is getting tight? I do think they are pretty tight. Maybe 3/4" sag at bottom when front is fully off the ground. Also, any comment on whether the wide tracks would be useful? I'm pretty sure tl230 is near identical to tl130.
Wide tracks will add some more weight, too.
I'm guessing my adjuster is all the way extended when I can keep pumping grease in and the track will not tension anymore. It goes from tensioning the tracks and to taking grease and nothing more happening before the tracks are at the correct tension.
That's pretty much what mine does, but the tracks are pretty tight at that point.
How many hours are on your current set of tracks? I'm at 1525hrs on my tracks.
thats a lot of hours. original set?
As far as I know. I bought the machine from a friend with just under 900hrs on it and the tracks were in good shape and about half tread then.
Machine has 600 hours. It was a rental machine for UR though with a lot of concrete residue (explains track condition). I bought it a couple years ago with 500 on it and the tracks were rough then.
If it was a rental unit, frequently all the bad components are put onto one machine, to be sold, and the good parts go to those that the fleet is going to keep, anything goes, with rental units, in my experience...
I realize that this is an old thread, but what did you end up doing with the new set of wider tracks? I have the same machine (Takeuchi TL130) and I'm also looking at a set of wide tracks from Prowler in the multi-bar pattern. My main motivation is better stability on side slopes (0% of my land is flat). Whenever I'm out in the woods, the ground is pretty soft and the bottom track would sink a lot into the ground, making everything worse. Also hoping that the combination of wider tracks and multi-bar thread can help with getting more traction on steep and soft slopes. I had already ordered a set of wide tracks from maclaren, BUT the friggin sales guy did not tell me that they are back ordered and after sitting for 3 weeks I'm done with that. Plus, they were selling me a slightly different size than OEM (54 links vs 52). This just seems wrong. Anyway - would love to hear what you ended up doing and how it worked out for you.