Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

To journey out early or not? An apprentices struggle…

huffmanmb ยท 2012-12-12 22:40

I have been in the IUOE as a apprentice for the past two years. Im at over three thousand hours on a track hoe and other specialized iron and spent sometime around the cranes for the past six months. Before going in as a apprenitce, I was driving dump truck and running loaders, hoes, and the occasional blade surfacing roads for the past ten years. I have a pretty well rounded backround in the field and Im now to a point that the employer I have been working for is finishing a project up locally and will be heading out of state for another good size job. I have been offered the possibilty to go, but im not sure Im able to travel as a apprentice. Im close enough on hours that I can journey out early by taking two tests, or stay in and for the full term and work local. Money wise it would be better for me to travel with my current employer, but should a guy take the early out? Im sure I can get on with the general we have been working for, and pick up many more hours of seat time as "the apprentice" and stay close to home. Just wondering what the concensus from my fellow senior operators would be.... :Banghead

Replies0

No replies yet.