Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

To Trade for a Dozer or not to trade!?

BBoomerBootCamp ยท 2011-01-09 22:03

Hi Group, I recently posted a classified ad, I have a 6X6 Argo Bigfoot, it is a ATV capable of land or water. I also have it for sale locally on Craigs List. A guy has offered to trade me a 2006 Yuchai Dozer, it has 106 "lightly used hours" on it. He says he had spent a good portion of his life on Heavy Equipment ie: Graders, D9's and 10's ect... My question is, has anyone have first hand experience with this brand, Yuchai, and more specific the Dozer. I would like to hear feedback as to the machines capability and more over durability, performance and over all likes and dislikes. My own experience have been with Cat or Deere products, I own a 410G Deere, 1020 Deere and a Cat 922 loader(Buttercup). My own plans for this little rig would be to use it for small land clearing jobs, driveways and its 3-point hitch capability's. I have a small piece of land here in N. Az. and I'd like to do some small scale garden terraces, fruit trees and veggies. Yhe little tractor would be used in conjunction with some of my larger equipment. Thanks for all the advise1 Mark

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies27
  1. #1amyliveshere2011-01-10 00:47

    id avoid anything from china like the plague nick......

  2. #2BBoomerBootCamp2011-01-10 10:16

    Thanks nick, as a rule I've always tried to live buy, "Buy American", and with my other 3 pieces I think I've been doing my best. The one reality that I can't seem to ignore is, Most every aspect of my day to day includes exposure to China and its products. For instance, Wally World and all its products, theres even one within 20 minutes of my small town. I would go as far as to say that the motor and many of the components in my Argo 6X6 are made up of Chinese products. Last I checked if my mortgage was not owned directly by the Chinese my neighbors is. It seems clear that in 2011 every part of my world is made in China, without turning this into a political thread I'd appeal to the side of this question that asks for experiences with this particular unit. There might be folks on this site that have used or even owned the little Dozer, if this is the case please humor this old boy. Thanks, Mark

  3. #3FurakawaMatt2011-01-10 13:01

    There is probably a few because that dozer is the same model sold by Northern Tool for years. You might get more information about it on http://ctocf.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=chinesebulldozers or http://www.ctoa.net/ They are no longer carried by Northern Tool due to the high cost of warranty.

  4. #4BBoomerBootCamp2011-01-10 21:44

    Thanks, the Chinese Dozer site is Straight up full of Chinese stuff. They request as part of there Forum rules, Not to post ?'s about buying a tractor, do not solicit advice unless you already own a Chinese Tractor. I will not ask of them there thoughts as I am still not fully commited to any trades. I do hope this thread has not cause any forum rules to be violated, newbies, can't live with em, can't live without them!

  5. #5MrMechanic2011-01-10 23:47

    What's the specific Model? tried renting a Yuchai Bulldozer for a a job I did with a contractor. What was the model you used? If it's the exact one I'm thinking of, there is a REASON why it only has "106 lightly used hours" on it........ Instead of going for a small dozer, might want to look into a small skid steer instead. Just a matter of purchasing additional attatchments, and you can do a lot more different types of work with it. speaking from a very limited experience working equipment with a contractor.

  6. #6BBoomerBootCamp2011-01-11 00:50

    it is the Yuchai dozer with a 30 hp motor. Thanks for your thoughts!

  7. #7MrMechanic2011-01-11 13:59

    I wouldn't bother spending money on a small dozer anyway. Reason being, all they are good for is doing very light, small dozer work. Very rarely can you even get a shank for one for tilling if ever. I'd go for a Skid Steer, and purchase a dozer blade attachment for it. Better off that way, because overtime, you just need to add into attachments as-needed. either a Skid Steer, or a Mini-Excavator. Because Mini-Excavators come with Dozer Blades that work just as good as a small dozer. I'd really avoid a small dozer if at all possible, just because of the lack of versatility. To pick out of a Mini Excavator, or Skid Steer is right for you, rent one of each, and see how you feel. Regarding the 30HP Yuchai. Avoid it. The one we had to rent, despite the 30HP. The hydraulics to the blade would give in. The tracks would come loose towards the back as you pushed something. And overall, we just got a massive headache from it. Ended up just buying a Dozer Blade for the Skid Steer we had for a bout $1,300. new. and did the job that way. Roughly the same HP. And better results/less of a headache.

  8. #8FurakawaMatt2011-01-11 14:07

    I have looked into these dozers for the last few years and I must admit that I would not buy one based on my research. There seems to be a severe reliability problem with these inexpensive Chinese dozers. I do not have problems buying China made things if the usage recoups the cost. I own a Chinese ATV I bought in a crate last year and it does what I want for the money I wanted to spend. It is incredibly cheaply built and would not suit most people though. That is the problem I have read about with the dozers. Some folks have gotten their moneys worth and most others have not. It is too bad that there is not a good quality brand small dozer on the market for the non commercial user. The closes ones are the small Komatsus or the gray market imported Mitsubishi. Ideally I would like one under 10,000lbs and having 50 HP. with a 6way blade and PTO.

  9. #9MrMechanic2011-01-11 14:10

    Correction, the "Small Dozer" we used, was a 50 HP not 30 HP. So that one would prove worse than the one we used.

  10. #10FurakawaMatt2011-01-11 14:58

    I have not seen a small dozer of 50HP. The Yuchais did have a 40HP model which was not much different dozer than the 30HP. BTW while I am asking for unicorns, the small dozer I would like would have nothing sophisticated about it. No electronics, no elaborate controls, easy to replace parts. Simple and strong.

  11. #11BBoomerBootCamp2011-01-11 18:20

    Thanks to all that have given there thoughts and advice. Just to be more clear on one of my considerations, it would only be a trade, I have a Argo 6X6 that has not sold or moved for me, it just sits and gets no use (72hr.) I have been approached by a local seller of this Dozer to trade, the only way I could ever justify this trade is if the deal required know cash. I would not think that the Dozer is suited for commercial work, I have 3 good pieces of equipment that are just sitting anyhow, waiting for phone to ring and the next job to come. I would see it being used on my land a few miles north of town, it would serve as a small brush clearing and farm tiller type of tracktor. I've heard some good advise on here pertaining to the pto, I will take my 3-point rototiller with me when I go and look this thing over. I'll give it a good work out with that tool, it will not lye. I'll be sure to post back my findings

  12. #12jrtraderny2011-01-11 18:47

    One of my good friends bought one of these new. DO NOT make the same mistake, nothing but trouble. The fellow that wants to trade you knows he's going to get the better deal even if he has to kick in $$$$$. Too bad you're not closer to NY, I've been looking for an Argo. jr

  13. #13BBoomerBootCamp2011-01-12 10:06

    Yea jr, they are a good deal more popular in the north east. Living in a dessert, nearest water is found in a puddle just after a big rain storm. I'm in know hurry and can take a long look at my options. Had a guy last nite with a JD350 track loader through his rig into the hat of trades. Its a good deal older than I'd like, haven't seen it yet (its in Phx.) but hey its a Deere. Don't really need another bucket, would really like a blade, but it has some interesting hydraulics hanging off the tail and "its a Deere". Will see what the next few days hold. The current state of economics is really makeing folks here in the south west re-think all there options, I'm know differant, I've been lucky enough to last this long, where's a piece of wood!.

  14. #14Greg2011-01-12 10:56

    First respone out of the chute from amyliveshere hit it right smack on the head with a very large hammer. Avoid anything and everything from china you possibly can.

  15. #15FurakawaMatt2011-01-12 11:07

    Good luck with that. That ship has already sailed. Back in the 80's Buy American was getting somewhere until Bush Sr. sold us out to the Chinese. Since than manufacturer has moved out of the country. You now have your choice of Chinese brand garbage or World Brand products made in China to a higher standard. The most you can hope for is to buy a Assembled here from foreign parts with maybe a few parts from the US. Too bad, but we can not compete on a un-level playing field.

  16. #16Taylortractornu2011-01-13 23:33

    I have had experience with one and I think my little 1840 Case loader would out push and finiis it. When Im not running euipment I work on some for side money. I had a Doctor call me wanting me to try one out he was interested in. I tried to get him to go to the grey dealer and get a Mitsubishi BD2g ot similar Komatsu. He said at those prices he could get the new Nortrac/ Yuchai. I tried to talk him out of it but he said he was well educated. THe tracks have a sprocket for the idlers. The hydraulics are trash. I couldnt hit the gound with it. Well after a few months working one of the idler sprocket bearings went out. TOok 4 months to get another and an SOB to put it on. The track rails were Cast steel some of it was forged. It leaked from every joint, the This one had the reverser in it and it went bad. got one 3 months later actually 4of them to get the right one. Nortrac finally gave up on parts. One idler wore really quick and we built it up with strap Iron for a template and cut it out a new one with my table burner. Later Northern bought it back. We have a Branson and LSdealer down the road. He brought in a load of CHina tractors and got a Jinma/Yuchai dozer we named the bad penny. It just kept comming back lol. He finally sold it to the Mexican carport/and portable building place and te last 7 months has been parked in a gully with the backcover off the transmission.

  17. #17BBoomerBootCamp2011-01-14 21:45

    Wow!!! Taylortractornu, Thanks for the tip. Mark

  18. #18Taylortractornu2011-01-16 11:54

    I got to run one athe the tractor dealer. When you tilt the blade the whole blade frame twists a bit. They kinda followed IH and JDs older smaller dozers by adding a set of steering clutches and tracks to a small tractor without the quality lol. Ive run 340 IHs and 1010 2010 and 400 series JD dozers and theres no comparison of the tractors Ive seen some of the BD2G Mitsubishis and D20 21 Komatswus come over with 3 point hitches and 540 PTO looked at one to help on bushhogging jobs. Id possily look to trade the Argo for a Grey market Jap machine or an older Deere

  19. #19MrMechanic2011-01-23 00:01

    If it ever comes down to where you have to decide between a Pakistan produced tractor, or a Chinese produced tractor, take the Chinese manufactured one.... Not only does Pakistan tractors suck, their replacement parts you have imported from over seas, don't fit. If you have three Pakistan manufactured Bulldozers of the exact same type/brand. Not a single part is interchangable....... Just wanted to add that. Wednesday evening, was an absolute nightmare. That is all.

  20. #20I AM IRONMAN2011-02-26 02:53

    Little Green dozer.....Made in America! You'll never have to buy a Chinese tractor if you look around for awhile and find one of these! Here is a 1964 John Deere 1010 Ag tractor, 47 years old with less than 2400 original hours. It surprisingly seems to have quite a bit of power, I think they said it has about 39 HP. The Cab is home made, but was well done and fits like a glove. Check out the belly....original paint, and hardly a scratch! Here is also a link to a youtube movie on how plow snow. PS I couldn't add the belly pic, but I will keep trying. [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KRhgTOk8KM[/videoh]

  21. #21maddog2011-04-13 08:09

    Well I may be to late for this post, but I can give some input. I did not "try one" from my friends cousins uncles fathers best friends grandma aunt Maybell. I actually own one and have done many jobs with it. I have logged, plowed major snow, built ponds, moved boulders, etc.... with mine and it has never let me down unless I abused it. It is a smaller machine but is very strong and capable for its size. Comparing this to the bigger dozers is about the same as using a VW rabbit to haul 10 ton of rock. It is a decent machine very capable of plenty of work. It is also a tracked machine so if it is negelected plan on having trouble. Oh, I also own a 1840 SS this dozer will walk all over it as far as traction, being in the woods etc... I really like my 1840 SS but comparing the 2 is just plain nutz, like comparing a golf ball to a rocket.

  22. #22EEL RIVER2011-05-31 13:31

    i have one! just remember this is a garden tractor not a bulldozer, its strong enough for small jobs around the house, but not a commerical unit. high maintence tractor. u must service! you cannot treat this tractor like a cat or komatsu. but the 3 pt hitch is second to none. try that with a cat or komatsu, they dont even have one. the 3 cyl engine is ok, it will start in 8 deg. weather. and u can put any kind of attachments u want on it. ive had mine for 6 years probably got 250 hrs. i till a veggie garden run all my tree prunings thru the chipper, dig postholes push snow try that with a cat it wont even start in 4 deg weather, niether will the pony motor. u must lube this rice burner daily! or u will end up like the folks that didnt lube daily. i wanted a new holland dozer that they use in the grapes, around here but 75000 compared to 12000 there was no doubt in my mind what i would get. being retired and a fixed income, dictates that. i also have a cletrac and a jd lindeman trac type old tractors. one has a crank the other a wheel to turn to start. they dont run in 4 deg weather either. may be just due to age.

  23. #232bad4u2011-06-02 05:16

    ive ran quite a few forgien pieces takuchi doosaan etc.. if its a new machine with warrenty and you can keep it working steady im sure it will do the job. resale is going to be bad.if you need something that is going to hold up over time its not what you want.the biggest diffs that ive noticed have been hydraulic preasures mainly in excavators but i do run alot of small dozers one funtion at atime or they fall on their face.if your tracking it drasticly slows other stick movement.you just have to run a little different to compensate.the company i work for is large and they have been buying more and more doosaan gear its cheap and buy the time warrenty runs out its passed alot of hands but still gets the job done.i think it probably balaces out money saved in purchase is lost on resale so it depends on how much it made you as to if its worth while.hope things work out well for you man cheers!

  24. #242bad4u2011-06-02 06:51

    check if it has multiple bucket movements as apposed to just tilt left,right espesially on a small machine can be very handy when you cant just plow somthing over.nice for treeing you can or change your angle without moving to far

  25. #25Lil' Puss2020-12-22 21:47

    I know it's old, but this thread just popped up in a search I was doing. This thread should really be named "Yuchai Dozer Bashing", and there is an awful lot of ignorance on display as well. I have a 2006 model that I spec'd and imported myself through a broker. It currently has over 600 hours on the U/C, and over 700 hrs on the engine and PTO. I made simple improvements and upgrades that I felt were necessary for my needs. I have had no problems at all with it except for a bout of diesel bugs, and a couple that I asked for. They are great little dozers for what they are designed for so don't expect D8 performance and they will not appeal to every demographic. At one time I was a field mechanic for Northern Commercial Co., so I kinda know my way around yellow equipment.

  26. #26jim-in-so-ore2020-12-25 00:02

    Our dirt motorcycle club had one of these FINE Chinese dozers. first we raised the seat so you could see what you were doing, then we extended the exhaust stack so you didn't get to enjoy the exhaust. Those were the only positive work we preformed on it. Then stuff started to break. Every one of the hog rings that held the pins in the track chains broke and fell out one by one. We replace the hog rings with 5/16 stainless bolts with nylock nuts. Next the starter died, got it rebuilt and the final straw was when the main shaft in the transmission snapped. We traded it for a Japanese wheel tractor and have had zero problems with it. Yeah a real Fine P.O.S. Jim

  27. #27Mother Deuce2020-12-25 10:29

    Northern Commercial...? was that John Craig up on Hwy 2 in Snohomish by Bickford Motors Geez I can see his yard in my minds eye. I can't remember what he called it.