Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Too simple? The JD repair manual is silent on the R & R of the fuel pump – 490D. Help

TreeHogger ยท 2015-04-05 09:48

So, the old girl is dripping fuel at a steady rate from what appears to be a 'standard' fuel pump in the block of the John Deere 490D (1990). The fuel seems to be coming from a little hole at the very bottom... Remarkably, the 555 page repair manual says absolutely nothing on this, while it goes into the minutia on everything else! Why? More importantly, is this truly a over-the-counter fuel pump that supplies the fuel injector? And, does a person just R & R like any other fuel pump? Maybe prime it when it is bolted to the block? Thanks for any thoughts on this. The repair seems so simple, I am suspicious!! ~ Mark

Replies12
  1. #1overworked2015-04-05 10:51

    Yes, it's a transfer pump that drives off the cam. No tricks just bleed the system before starting, the injection pump needs to be full of fuel for lube or it can be costly.

  2. #2TreeHogger2015-04-05 11:00

    Got it - so by bleeding, open the plug at the top of the filter and continue to 'pump it' using the priming lever? I guess, I am assuming that since it is running fine, (just the transfer pump leaking), that the injector is full, and the only change in conditions would be a little intermittent air in the system by virtue of swapping out the transfer pump(?) Thanks for your advice!

  3. #3ANDREW C2015-04-05 12:30

    Just stick it on, nothing to it. Most likely wont have to bleed it. Only thing is the fittings are brazed on and can break easily use a wrench to hold them when you tighten on the lines

  4. #4alaskaforby42015-04-05 13:38
  5. #5alaskaforby42015-04-05 13:48

    After re-reading your post I realize now that you mean the lifter pump. I have had to replace these a time or two as well and if you are quick about it wont have to bleed anything. if those little bubbles in the filter bother you I've parked it and an angle so the bubbles are right at the bleeder screw and bled them out while running. Also if you pump that little manual pump and there is no resistance don't be alarmed (as I was) as the cam has to be in contact with it in order to pump. So you can just bump the engine over a tad until you have resistance on the manual pump lever. Good Luck!

  6. #6TreeHogger2015-04-05 13:48

    Terrific - Alaskaforby4 is showing the injector pump - hopefully I will not have to get into that!! I am guessing $70-80 bucks at NAPA, then back in business... Thanks Andrew on your advice!

  7. #7TreeHogger2015-04-05 13:57

    Got it - thanks Sam - you've been such a great help to this oft dim tree farmer! :notworthy And yes, I staggered, and clutched my heart when you initially said about $1,500!! Mark

  8. #8tuney4432015-04-05 15:26

    Just changed my TP.You can save money by finding your part # ,then go to Deere Agriculture Parts and search for your #.

  9. #9ANDREW C2015-04-05 18:07

    This is the lift pump and the part no is R520618. Looks like you need to buy the gasket separately.

  10. #10Delmer2015-04-05 18:39

    If you want to avoid running the pump dry, tighten the inlet line but leave the outlet loose, prime it a few pumps until fuel seeps out instead of air, then tighten the outlet and start it up. Everything will have fuel in it, with just a few bubbles in the lift pump and line that won't hurt anything.

  11. #11TreeHogger2015-04-07 13:22

    Great - I didn't even spot (when looking at the machine) that it appears to have a priming lever. Thanks Delmer - you're an institution here!! Mark

  12. #12TreeHogger2015-04-07 13:26

    Thanks Tuney and Andrew! Before I saw the part number (below) I called RDO Equipment in Sauk Rapids, and told them I wanted to get the part number from them, and buy it elsewhere. To their credit, he gave me the #. I then asked him how much it was, and he replied $64 bucks. So hey, when they are helpful like that, I didn't even price compare.