I work at John Deere and I would like to buy a tool to open spin on filters for trans/hyd. As a child I remember we had a tool looked like a chain style filter wrench, every link of the chain had a cutter wheel like a can opener. You would just adjust the tension at the Vise grip type handle and Voila' even exhaust pipe could be cut. Where to buy? The dealership has a filter cutting tool but I don't really like it.
I remember the tool you're speaking of, and I'm pretty sure J.C. Whitney used to carry them. I used to have their catalog memorized LOL!!
Check out you loacal Napa dealer .It should be listed in the tool catalog.Caterpillar also has a filter cutter with four cutting wheels and will handle large filters in their toll and shop catalog book.
I think this is what you're talking about. It's actually a exhaust pipe cutter, but I'm sure it'll do filters without a problem too. http://www.working-24.com/en/bilder/neutral/46-000134.jpg Here is the search page I came up with if you want options: http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...tter&qpvt=chain+exhaust+pipe+cutter&FORM=IGRE
Napa has one http://tools-equipment.napaecatalog.com/WebProject.asp?CodeId=7.5.5.5# Snap on has one and another type http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/tools.asp?tool=all&Group_ID=675510&store=snapon-store I've also found some at MAC tools. Search for either "chain exhaust cutter" or Exhaust cut-off tool or things along that line and you can find them all over.
Here's another tools along those lines...$36... http://www.amazon.com/Dynomax-35616-Tool-Pipe-Cutter-Chain/dp/B001AGOSLA
Caterpillar part number 5p1747
175-7546 is the current Part Number for one with all the bells & whistles. Plus the roller, cutter wheels, and pins are available as replacement parts.
The chain ones don't work too well. They make actual filter cutters that look/work like copper tubing cutters. I just use a nibbler or a sawzal if I don't have air.
The filter cutters are very popular in the aviation community. They are like pipe cutters on a large scale. The advantage to that is that there are no metal particles introduced by the cutting process. Perhaps with a hydraulic filter you're only looking for brass, so steel shavings from sawing the filter case wouldn't be misinterpreted as damage to the system.