Looking to join the iuoe in a few weeks when the apprenticeship program opens up at my local, and I was wondering what tools are necessary to be successful in the industry?
Lots of keys and a grease gun.....LOL.Ron G
And depending on the machine a can of glass cleaner and a roll of towels, a little wisk broom come in handy too at the end of the day
Any suggestions on a grease gun? What's the best battery opperated gun to go with?
Alemite is my favorite, though I currently use Milwaukee and like it ok, it's just heavy. Here's plenty of other opinions: HeavyEquipmentForums
I am sure they will give you a list of what is required.
Three tools I use when operating . Leatherman tool , handy for simple repairs & adjustments . http://www.leatherman.com/super-tool-300-2.html#prefn1=sizecategory&prefv1=Heavy-Duty&start=1 Eye protection , really like the shaded Firepower glasses . They have a flatter lens than other brands . Gives me a more realistic visual perspective than some of the cone shaped "bugg eye " safety glasses. http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d..._-1_-1&mn=Firepower&mc=FIR&pt=N2167&ppt=C1960 Ear protection , AM/FM headset . http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/3m-worktunes-hearing-protector?cm_vc=-10005 Used them all today running the lawn mower . Yes , it's that time again
Tell me if I'm crazy but when I show up on a job "especially on my crane , I think because I normaly only interact with the super and the rigger " when I'm sizing up the rest of the crew anybody in those wrap around sun glasses looks like thier hot shot ass. But most times maybe when the job is done and they take there glasses off and I talk to them suprise there just regular guys, but time and time again I always look at the guy with the wrap around glasses with suspicion. Screwed up ah. PS. Sorry for jumping the thread
LOL Tradesman ! Wife picked me up a pair of those " goggle eye " glasses . I could not use them as the view was disorientated . I know what drunk looks like & don't need a pair of glasses to simulate it . I like the old school flat shaded lens with folding side shields . Like what we had back in high school shop class back in the day . Really like the Firepower glasses , they go for about $ 20.00 at the local parts store . Gives me the best visual reference when operating ... And shooting .:thumbsup
I've only ever worked for myself but my son has operated for several different companies , he takes his own battery grease gun, a track shovel and a tape measure. Says he hates using what ever the last guy left behind.
I wear Ray Ban Aviators with the Photo Grey lenses.....I know.....I know....those are old man glasses but they sure are nice when you leave the house during the day on the bike and come home at night.They never gave me a problem carrying a grade either but maybe because I learned to do it wearing them.I concur on the bug eyes,makes me laugh.Ron G
I always cared a tape measure that had both inches and tenths on it. Came in handy many times trying to convert things over. Good track shovel, always seems hard to find one and a grease gun. Had both battery and hand. Seems like I ised the hand more. Always became a pain remembering to bring the extra battery. If you keep up with daily greasing it doesn't take long
If you are serious about doing site work a few other things come to mind like a fish tape for pulling pull line in the conduit,I had two as I remember(been out of the game now a few years) a 100' and a 200' for the longer runs,a locke level,a string level,a folding rule with inches on one side and tenths on the other and you can use it with the locke level,a ball of twine,a retracting tape at least 33' because a lot of right of ways are 33' when you are boxing out a road.....the list goes on.Oh yeah,a 100' tape and if you want an 200' tape can be handy too.Ron G
I am a Union Contractor, the only equipment my employees are required to provide is appropriate clothing and shoes, no sneakers, loafers, flip flops, yes, someone showed up with them on, no shorts or cut-offs and shirts with sleeves, short sleeves are OK, no "wife beaters". We provide all Personal Protective Equipment, Hardhat, Safety Vest, Safety Glasses, Respiration Protection. Many people have hardhats of their own, we prefer they wear ours when on our sites. We provide grease guns and other service equipment to the operators.
One other thing, keep a diary. Where did you work, who did you work, what did you run, the name of the project, what did you do, what was your productions. Write it all down, it will become a priceless reference. Note what tricks work and what do not. Also the names of the good and bad people you work with. keep it daily.
Good eyes and a smart head on your shoulders. Some people just don't have the knack for running equipment or making the job look like it's supposed to. If you're just getting into it, they will tell you what you need but wear work clothes and work boots. I think any company that doesn't have their own grease guns/ track shovels, etc. for their expensive machines deserves a slap on the side of the head. I know if I hired operators, I'd provide them everything they need to perform basic maintenance on the machine they are operating and give them $%$#@ if they weren't keeping up with it. Why allow them to have an excuse why it wasn't done? Had to drive the car today and forgot my grease gun and shovel in the truck, etc.
I hear ya my employees don't need to bring anything but the clothes on thier back and lunch,BUT I've never had a good tradesman work for mr that didn't want his own hand tools. It's a matter of pride for a good tradesman. And for the good ones when I see something of theirs that's getting near the end of its service I will buy them new personal tools : ie. A steleto hammer for $250 plus
Thanks guys I appreciate the insite
Positive attitude, safety glasses, ear plugs, gloves, Rain gear, grease gun, spade shovel, 6' ruler (tenths and inches), hand held site level, pen and paper, flashlight, learn as many tractors as you can.
A ziploc bag full of throw away dust masks, the kind with 2 bands and a a pair of jumper cables.
I supply my guys all the tools and PPE needed. They are responsible for clothing and footwear. They get to pick out which hardhat, hi-viz vest and safety glasses they choose, regardless of cost. If they want a $125 fiber full brim hard hat or a $20 plastic one, doesn't matter as they will be wearing it a lot and I want them to pick the one that's comfortable to them. Common tools we use everyday: Round point shovel Spade shovel 6' spud bar grease gun 35' tape in tenths and inches folding rule in tenths marking paint Common wrenches, screw drivers and pipe wrench
A good rain suit! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The above may be the most important advice given so far. One might call it a "memo for reference" (MFR) that could, and we all pray not, become a very important document should you ever be injured on a jobsite, or ever need to document a supervisor's bad instructions which you felt obliged to follow but that resulted in problems for you, your co-workers, or your employer. Record not only the factual, but your opinions of what happened that day. After a while, doing it (recording your observations) will become at the end of each day an itch that only writing in your diary can ease. And if nothing untoward happens, when you retire you can either write a book or tell your grandchildren wonderful tales of how it was "way back then."