Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Top Kick steering box

Willie B ยท 2024-07-30 08:08

My 1989/1990 former fire truck, odometer piled up miles over the 625 hours it ran pumping. Most likely it pumped most of those hours circulating water to prevent freezing. I estimate 10,000 miles rolling down the road. Steering box is getting loose. I can move it quite a bit with front wheels jacked up. I haven't found a manual for the steering unit, or truck. I searched online, found a rebuilt listing, but OUT OF STOCK. Are these things rebuildable? Are they adjustable? Is mine worn out, or only out of adjustment? It does not leak, Works OK, except too much play. I've dealt with older manual boxes, they have an adjustment.

Replies4
  1. #1crane operator2024-07-30 17:47

    Weller truck parts did a super fast turn around for me, on the last steering box I had rebuilt. Called in, they sent shipping labels, scheduled the pickup, and took care of shipping it back. Mine was part of a dual steering box set up, with a leaking seal, but you had to completely disassemble that style box to put in a new seal. I found the book online for mine, and decided to let the pro's do it. My local fleet pride would also send it off to a place in texas, but they had a longer backlog.

  2. #2heymccall2024-07-30 18:14

    I'll second "Weller". Using this link, first step is to ID the box you have. https://assets.wellertruck.com/reference-materials/catalogs/Steering%20ID%20Catalog.pdf

  3. #3heymccall2024-07-30 18:16

    Once you've ID'd your box, this page has manuals. Home | Weller Truck Parts | Weller Reman Find Weller Truck steering gear and pumps maintenance manuals online. Visit us today to learn more or to contact us for more information. wellertruck.com

  4. #4Willie B2024-07-30 18:30

    Thank those who answered. No indicator I have found except the Saginaw Logo cast into the case. I will contact Weller.