Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Torque Rod Replacement.

RobVG ยท 2015-09-18 23:32

On occasion (like today) I have to replace torque rods on our pup trailers. About 60% of the time I have to burn them out because the 1x5" bolts refuse to be driven out of the bushing. I'm tired of getting a face full of burning rubber smoke. Anyone know of a press or puller that would do the job? Do you have your own "trick"? Cheers, Rob

Replies7
  1. #1Jonas3022015-09-19 11:01

    Thats always a terrible job I have thought a small oxylance would let a guy stand back a little more

  2. #2RobVG2015-09-19 20:53

    Ah, someone that feels my pain :drinkup I think I'll try to get my hands on some det cord. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detonating_cord#Direct_employment

  3. #3lantraxco2015-09-20 00:04

    Time to invent a new attachment for a porta-power?

  4. #4nowing752015-09-20 20:20

    Probly would not be enough for this but a 8x rivet gun and a pin driver comes in handy for driving out stubborn bolts

  5. #5RobVG2015-10-06 19:39

    Kind of along the same lines, pentil eye nuts. I've never been able to get them off without cutting them. I've used a 1" impact with no avail. Nothing like the smell of burning bushings. How do you guys remove them?

  6. #6GregsHD2015-10-06 19:56

    I've always had to just cut the nuts off drawbar/pintle eyes, i've found that 9 time outta 10 the eye is fairly worn by the time the bushings pound out and just replace the whole nine yards. Not worth the time to mess around with them IMHO...

  7. #7RobVG2015-10-06 19:59

    Glad I'm not the only one, thanks. Just a little stressful when it's just the bushings are bad and trying to save the threads.